Powerbook = On or Off?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kdmenon, Jul 11, 2004.

1. kdmenon macrumors newbie

Ok so its night time and you want to go to bed... Your beautiful powerbook lies on your desk waiting for you... Do you turn it off or do you just leave it on standby? Which one preserves the battery for a longer amount of time? :confused:

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Both will have the same effect on your battery because in both cases the computer is using basically no power and will continually cycle charging on and off. There are many arguments for sleep mode vs shutdown, but its really just a personal preference.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

To get things cleared up it is sleep not standby. I say sleep it every night and every 2 weeks without updates I shut it down.

4. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

I have owned both a 1GHz revision B and a 1.33GHz revision C 12" PowerBook since November 2003. I always just close the lid when I'm finished working and put the PowerBook to sleep. No problems. The longest it has been asleep for is about a week. I never turn it off, just sleep, and it's never been a problem. I'd say it's one of the best things about owning a PowerBook :)

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I have 2 macs...

I never turn them off, Sleep...

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I sleep mine, unless I leave to go somewhere for an extendended period. I run some basic Cocktail stuff everynow and then to take care of the maintenance that is done at startup and such.

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    sleep all the time, my current up time is 26 days

8. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

The only time I actually shutdown my PowerBook 17" is when I take it with me to work on occasion. Other than that I just close the lid and admire the pulsing white light.
    Vanilla

9. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

in my opinion, you should ever shut your powerbook (or anymac come to that) it emptys the ram and just takes time to build up again.....

test it yourself next time you close you powerbook down... you will know how fast you powerbook opens thing it will be alot slow opening after a restart...

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I don't shut down any of my Macs--except the Cube which I don't use that much. My iBook just sleeps when I'm not using it and it hasn't been a problem yet.