Powerbook or Dell XPS?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iQuit, Oct 27, 2005.

1. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I am a Mac User (Sept.4 2004) and I originally bought an iBook. I love Mac,the OS, the programs....everything. But with the PowerBook so high priced, is OSX really worth it? I am buying a laptop in about a week and had my eyes on the 17" (As I have since March) but it still hasen't really been updated. The XPS I was looking at has an extended battery which is 5 hours but usually gives you about 3.5 hours, it has a 256MB graphics card and a huge screen. My dilemma is I will have my next laptop for about 3 years and I am thinking about what it will be able to do and what it will be capable of in the future. So should I go with the Dell? Here are some factors

1.Both about same price
    2.OSX VS. WINDOWS (Windows is in fact starting to get more stable)
    3.video editing for the next 3 years
    4.Speed
    5.What it will be capable of in the years I will have it, and how it will keep up with the upcoming technology.
    6.Longhorn VS. Leopard

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Well, asking on a Mac forum, you're gonna get some biased responses...

2. OS X v Windows. No contest for me. OS X wins, hands down.OS X is so smooth and perfect
    3. Video editing... that's a Mac thing. Final Cut Pro runs on a Mac. That's like.. the standard video editing software.
    4. Speed.. I think that the PB will run faster than any dell after a few years. Windows WILL get bogged down.
    5. it can do anything you want it to. If you DO run into problems, you can just ask people here.
    6. Vista = tiger *snickers*
    in all honesty, the developer builds I've heard about it.. it just seems like XP with a skin applied to it.

So, KT the obsessive mac user says... go powerbook! :)

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

you can get a comparably performing desktop (compared to the xps) for around 1/3 of the price (assuming $3k for the xps) and then buy an ibook for portability and macness and still come out ahead of a 17" powerbook or dell xps. but given a concrete choice between the two i'd choose a powerbook. i went athlon64 over power mac when i got a new computer in july and despite the games and a lot of great windows programs i love i miss os x :/

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Dell XPS? They still make those? I'm sure the specs have improved (and the quality dropped) since dad bought one back in 1998 :rolleyes:

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

now there's xps laptops! with color-changeable lights and a brushed metal display case!

6. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

You are kidding right?!?!? I absolutely hate my windows machine because of its "stability", it's getting worse for me, requiring a clean install once/twice a year.

I personally feel mac osx is better at authoring and video editing.

The only reason I would even think about going with the xps is because of media center.
    Media center is not all that great because it seriously lacks any polish to it, but as of right now
    it's better than what apple has to offer in terms of functions.

7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Lol, XPS, so pointless.

Build a desktop PC for gaming if you need it. PowerBooks may not be the best for gaming, but they put all other 17" notebooks to shame.

8. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Ok...I know OSX is much more stable and nicer looking of course. I put VS. meaning pros and cons such as programs and apps. The thing is that I want my notebook to last me and to be ready for whatever I can throw at it. Also Apple is switching, and what if the future apps aren't optomized for PPC? It is just the PowerBook hasen't been updated in ages. I need a notebook now, but when is the soonest a PowerBook is possible to come out? I have had my eyes on the PowerBook, It is just a big investment you know?

9. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

G5

Why not buy a G5 Powermac/iMac? Keep your iBook.
    Or buy a PB and then sell it once the intel machines are out... You would probably lose ~$500-$700 depending on the price the intel machines start at.

I think you will have better experience on a Mac for video editing. FCP is fairly easy to learn.

Nuc

10. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I know, I have been using a PC with an AMD processor for the last few months and gave the iBook to my bro. I do miss OSX and how fast and responsive it is. I am just going to buy the PowerBook and hope that it will be able to keep up with the market for 3 years. I am also buying an iMac, which is a great value imo.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Interesting, the Windows system I use at work is very stable. It's not lack of stability that keeps me away from Windows, it's the horrible OS :rolleyes:

12. wako macrumors 65816

If you treat your system well, know how to use it properly, know how to deal with things as they come up (instead of whining like how most people do) then you wouldnt be having problems. Unfortunately the thing i just said only maybe covers 25% of all Window users

13. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Come on, this is a mac biased forum. Fact is the XPS would eat the powerbook alive.

Nermal - perhaps you didnt realize that powerbooks have been around in 1998 as well?:rolleyes:

14. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

xps (gen 2 i assume) is now called m170.
    It can now have the 7800go gtx, so basically it would eat the powerbook for breakfast, lunch and dinner in performance terms.
    However, it does not have 3.5h batterylife. Seems to be closer to 2.5.

If you want 3.5h+, i suggest the inspiron 9300. I can squeeze out 4h on mine.
    Its basically the same as a dell xps gen 2, except with a 6800go, as opposed to 7800gtx (but it can be unofficially upgraded).

However, relative to the powerbook, the dell 17" is big, very big. about the same width/length, but its much thicker. Also your missing out on OSX.

It really depends on what you want more. A stylistic apple, which is portable and has very good batterylife, or a high performance gaming machine.
    The dell is faster in pretty much every aspect, but its significantly harder to use as a portable laptop. It is a lot more upgradeable, and much easier to take apart (dvd burner can be removed by unscrewing one screw, hdd with two).
    But it doesn't run OSX, and is made of plastic.
    Your choice...

15. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Okay...we're talking notebooks now.

So the XPS wins in what...portability? Ease of use? Productivity?

The fact is, laptops are supposed to have substantial performance disadvantages when compared to even far cheaper desktops.

The PowerBook can do everything the original poster needs very well. In addition, it WILL be more stable, more portable and generally much more satisfying (anyone who loves Mac OS X knows what I mean).

The XPS is faster in a strict sense, but does that make it a better notebook computer? NO!!!

16. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

the buyer is looking for speed and video editing. if your willing to wait hours at a time for rendering, the powerbook is excellent.

17. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

i agree with the post about the iMac/PM, get a dual PM or an Imac and keep the ibook, if you are doing serious video editing a desktop will always have the edge.

18. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

2. Yep, not much in it anymore. You also get the benefit of greater compatibility with Windows, plus the ability to run a wider range of games.
    3. FCP is excellent software, but it's not the only thing out there.
    4. XPS wins hands down.
    5. The Powerbooks are lagging behind. The CPU technology is becoming obsolete with the move to Intel binaries soon. It's not a viable 3 year option. The XPS has the latest Pentium M technology.
    6. Vista and Leopard are two completely different creatures. I've used the Vista Beta 1 intensively and found that it's not just XP with a different skin. It's going to change the way that PC users work. However, if you like searching for files, it has nothing on Spotlight. Leopard will probably be wonderful. Both will most likely suffer from initial bugs and you may need to wait for Vista SP1 and OS X 10.5.5 before they become stable.

If it's just video editing you want to do, then it might not matter which system you go for. If you bought a PB, stuff 2Gb RAM into it with a 100Gb 7200rpm drive (and an external firewire drive), install a copy of FCP, and you've got a great system. Until the next update comes along.

The XPS is more futureproof. If a new version of whichever video editing software you chose came out, you'd be pretty much guaranteed that the XPS could handle it.

19. generik macrumors 601

generik

Try 0.25% :rolleyes:

Given that Windows is virtually defacto... that figure isn't far off.... :D

20. generik macrumors 601

generik

I will just advice the OP to wait a few more months.

A new PB will rise to fill up the spot of the 'higher end" PB :)

21. jelloshotgun macrumors newbie

22. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

What apps does Windows use besides Windows Movie Maker? The PRO laptop line of Apple has just been slacking.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But Windows PC manufactures love to churn through model names :p

24. PharmD macrumors 6502

Adobe Premier and Sony Vegas (I used this before switching and its a fine editor and DVD author)

25. generik macrumors 601

generik

Hurry, but the laptop for the ram and trash the laptop for what it is.. trash :D