Powerbook or iBook...again.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by McGuillicuddy, Nov 26, 2004.

1. McGuillicuddy macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2004
    Cambridge, UK
    Here's the deal. In the UK I get an academic discount, so the prices are:

12" iBook 1.2 GHz
    60 GB HD

Total: £853.18 (incl. £157 for Applecare)

12" Powerbook 1.33 GHz
    60 GB

Total: £1162.08 (incl. £220 for Applecare)

What I want from a new machine is something that will last me 3-4 years for regular internet/word processing/DVD viewing/travelling/occasional game (e.g. WC3, Call-of-Duty...none of the new games obviously). For these purposes, is the extra processing/GPU power of the Powerbook worth the extra £300 (which is about USD$555, or CAD$675)?? Will the Powerbook remain functionally useful for much that longer than the iBook?

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    So, you want to know if you should get the PB for $555 more (sorry, American here -- thanks for the conversion :)), with its extra .13 GHz of processing power? Hmm ... ;)

I think you'd get by happily with an iBook. I really don't think it'll be worth it to put down extra cash, considering what you want. The Powerbook won't necessarily last any longer than an iBook. If anything, I'd guess an iBook would last longer, only because polycarbonate would hold up better than aluminum in falls or drops.

Since you want to have your computer in top shape for years, consider the three-year Applecare warranty. You'll find that your student discount also fetches you a nice discount on this. (Edit: I'm an idiot, you mentioned this in your post, didn't you.)
  3. zen_state macrumors member

Nov 16, 2004
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    if I had a dime for every time one of these same threads were started I would be rich. try a search..