Powerbook or iBook? (For Home Recording Studio)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nutdotnet, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Nutdotnet macrumors member

Jan 15, 2004

I'm going to buy a mac laptop soon. I will be using it for my class work, surfing the net, and I would also like to use it for my home studio.

The iBook 933 14" is $1200 (with my discount) and the Powerbook 15" Widescreen 1gig is $1800.

So I would be saving $600 by going with the iBook. With that I could buy the MAudio Omni Studio USB (a home recording preamp) and upgrade the ram. But I'm more concerned with getting the best laptop for my situation.

So.....which one is the better buy?

BTW- Does anyone know if there is another differecen between the iBook 933 and iBook 1gig? Other than the clock speed?
  2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    the 1 Ghz iBook has a 60 GB HD standard
    the 15 inch pb is much more powerful with better graphics, better expansion, more cache for the processor a much nicer screen than the 1024 by 768 ibook one very much worth the extra 600
  3. Nutdotnet thread starter macrumors member

Jan 15, 2004

The hard drive really isn't much of my concern...I'll have to get a FW Hard Drive anyway (4200 speed is too slow for audio work).
  4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    4200 is fine - if you can prove that the difference is necessary, that's one thing - but it really won't affect recording needs that much. The RAM will. The internal specs are MUCH better on the PB. Go with that - get more RAM from Crucial, not apple, and pat yourself on the back every day for making a wise investment. Why have something that isn't going to last as long???
  5. Nutdotnet thread starter macrumors member

Jan 15, 2004