Powerbook or iBook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hugemullens, Dec 27, 2002.

1. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Here's my situation. I have about a $1,000 dollars and am wondering what will be better, a used 400mhz tibook or a new 700 mhz ibook. All i will do with it is email, websurfing and light use of dreamweaver. So i dont know if the ibook will be better or if the g4 in the tibook will make that a better computer.

Thanks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

iBook 700Mhz, it has to be! The 400Mhz TiBook is quite an old machine, from what I have read, AirPort reception is pants on them, the video cards arn't up to much and the screens arn't the greatest in the world. The much newer (brand new?) iBook would be far better for you, or IMO anyone.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah, get the ibook. i would try to save up a bit more and get the combo drive. since workign at an apple resller, i would reccomend going the apple loan route. use the same as cash deal and pay selection over 5 years. in your case you will actually pay eveything before then. pay a thousand and with a job if you hve one pay off the other 4 hundred. they nice thing about the 5 year plan you only have to pay 20 dollars a month. and since there is no penalty for prepayment youll get everything taken care of, and if you take care of everything within 180 days you wont have to pay any interest. that is the way i would reccomend if you are short on cash for the upper model. plus with the combo model you get the burner, dvd, and a better video card. hope i was some help.

iJon

4. Zion Grail macrumors regular

iBook. If it were a new TiBook (like the one I'm using :) ), then I'd say go TiBook. But since it's the old one, get the iBook.

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Definitely the iBook for all of the reasons stated above. If you could save another $200, Smalldog has refurb 800Mhz iBooks for $1199. The 800 is a fantastic machine (it's what I'm using right now!).

Regards,
    Gus

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ibook, since it's new

the tibook is still probably slightly faster, especially on some adobe and macromedia apps

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Go sell yourself on the street corner and get a new tibook. Trust me, it would be worth a few tubes of preparation h.

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

iBook

But dont get the 999 model. Find a refurb 32MB Grahpics Card version for lik 1049 or somethin.