Powerbook or Ibook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lazymuoio, Jun 30, 2004.

1. lazymuoio macrumors member

I'm looking to switch to mac from windows and i have a question. SHould i get an ibook or a powerbook i can afford either. please weigh in and tell me why and specify some extras or upgrades i should get thanks :D

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If money is no object, general consensus seems to be to go for the 15" with SuperDrive. Faster, better graphics, etc. The 17" is generally seen as too big, but many would disagree with that.

The big plus to the iBook is that the case is more durable (and, of course, it's cheaper, but that doesn't seem to be an issue).

Best thing to do is to go to an Apple Store or other reseller and play with them.

If money matters somewhat and you're looking for a small, really portable one, general consensus is that the 12" iBook is a better deal than the 12" PowerBook.

Again, though, any one of the models has those who emphatically state it's the best and those who don't like it. Go hold them yourself!

3. lazymuoio thread starter macrumors member

Thanks im looking at the 12 inch models should have specified that which one of the two do you recommend?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As far as extras:

If what you're looking at offers it (depending on model), I highly recommend the following (assuming Build-to-Order - you'll get the base specs if you buy retail):

• fastest hard drive option
    • best graphics card (if you do graphics-intensive stuff)
    • additional memory purchased from 3rd party - much cheaper
    • AppleCare Protection Plan (now or before your 1st year is up)

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You really should go look at them yourself to see if the extra $$ for the PB is worth it to you. The PB is definitely better, but a lot of people think the 12" iBook is a much better deal for the price. It's cheaper and has 95% of the capabilities. Plus scratches are more easily fixed on the case.

But go look at them both.

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

If you are going for a 12" - go for the Powerbook - it packs a serious punch in a very small package. Plus - all of the Powerbooks have wireless airport built in; the iBooks make you add that card. The guts of the PB will make your computer last a bit longer. Both are solid machines - get what you can afford, but I'm definitely a PB fan.

7. ColdIronsBound macrumors newbie

Similar Question

I am a writer. I use my computer for word processing, e-mail, and internet, no gaming. But I'll spend a few hours in front of the screen worrying over a script. I'm trying to decide between the 12" PB and the 14" iBook. Is the extra $300 (here in Canada) for the PB worth it? I could use the cash to pick up some software like office.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just note that the 14" iBook has the same screen resolution as the 12" PB. Bigger pixels might be easier to see, but you won't see more stuff.

You actually, given your usage, might want to seriously consider the 12" iBook.

9. whatever 9999 macrumors newbie

Hey. I'm going to need a Mac laptop soon. Money is a huge issue, I'm a very poor student (well, maybe not THAT poor). I'll be doing the basic word processing, email, IM... that kinda stuff. I'm not huge on games, but I want something that can do Warcraft III (for spare time). I also write and produce music, but Sibelius and Digital Performer will run on either... and that's what the schools computers are for anyways. I'm not sure if 12" will be big enough or not... but I think it will. This will be my only computer though. Recommendations?