Powerbook or iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by homer5468, Aug 12, 2004.

1. homer5468 macrumors newbie

I'm just about to buy an Apple Laptop, and this will be my first Apple computer. I'm going to be a freshman in college, majoring in biology and I'm trying to decide between the powerbook and the iBook. I'll need wifi and bluetooth, and a larger hard drive, but I don't plan on doing any video editing. However, I want this computer to last at least 2 or 3 years, before I have to buy another desktop or laptop. Will the extra $200 in the powerbook be worth it in the long run?

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Yes.

And there's another thread about this.

And also, as a college student who chose an iBook to go into college... don't make the same mistake I did.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

4. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

I'm an iBook fan--that's what I used for my final year of college and now grad school. The only reason I'll consider buying a powerbook: G5.

5. homer5468 thread starter macrumors newbie

yellow, thanks for the thread, that was really helpful! :)

6. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

For some reason on this board, everyone says PowerBook, no matter the circumstances.

7. wide macrumors 6502a

Both and iBook and a PowerBook will be fine for 2-3 years. It just depends what resale value you want, if you tend to sell your computers when you're done with them. The iBook does get better battery life and better AirPort reception, both of which are good reasons to get an iBook.

I would still get the PowerBook if you can, though, because it's cooler and it's extra speed and VRAM will definately be helpful in a year or so.

8. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Plus, Core Image that is coming in Tiger is not fully supported with the current generation of iBook graphics cards, but it is with all current PowerBooks.

9. NinaPooh macrumors newbie

Hey Homer, I too am a biology major, but I'm a junior. I just bought an ibook, and I love it. I haven't been able to use it for school yet, but I'm sure it will meet my needs, seeing as I've been in college for two years, and I've never done anything but the basic stuff. I guess a lot of people on here say if you're a basic user, which a lot of people are, get an ibook. If you plan to do a lot of stuff on it than get a powerbook (and if you have the money for it).