Powerbook or Imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kaufy, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Kaufy macrumors newbie

I've been reading about people's favorite mac and powerbooks always seem to rank the highest. I am ready to get rid of my desktop PC and I can either purchase an iMac or a powerbook. I have an ibook G3 and it's very slow and I have a PC desktop which is equally slow. In any case, I'm ready to make my move, but which move shall I make? I was going to get an imac G5, but I could go get a powerbook instead. Please advise me. Much thanks!

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Do you need portability? if you do, then get the Powerbook, and if you don't get the iMac.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Hi Kaufy.

I have an iMac G5 at work and a 15" PB at home and I feel I have to say this -- you're not going to be disappointed with either one. If you're looking to do a lot of video editing (or if you need massive HD space) or if you're simply looking for the better bargain, you should get the iMac. But if you want simplicity, beauty, power and efficiency, you can't go wrong with the PBs. I've got a gig of ram in mine and it doesn't balk at anything I ask it to do. And your PB will do its best to keep you warm in the winter.

I guess I'm not helping you to make a decision. If I were you, I'd probably get the iMac. Then again, when I had to make this decision, I bought the PB instead (and haven't second guessed that decision yet!).

4. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

The other consideration is price.
    You don't mention what size PB, but I'm going to assume the 'medium' model, the 15".
    In that case, the 15" w/SD is $500 more than the 20" iMac w/SD.

I agree with thedude110 that the iMac is the better bargain, but in order to really make this decision, you need to have an idea of what your needs are with this computer.

Best wishes!

5. Kaufy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ibook

Any idea why my ibook is so slow??? It sometimes takes 20 mins for it to start. Most of the time I feel like I'm just watching the spiral spin round and round.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Get the iMac. It's much better performance for your dollar and you still have the portability of the old iBook (assuming it's a keeper :p ). How much free space does it have? If you have any less than about 5GB free it'll really slow down.

7. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

It could be a lot of different things. What system are you running?? Have you ever repaired permissions?? And my suggestion (if you could do it) is to just re-install the OS and start fresh. I know this is harder for some to do becasue of the stff they have on there computer but it could solve your probelm and let you start clean.

As for which computer i would go with the iMac. My family just ordered one and i just got on for college. Great machines, you would love it!!

8. Kaufy thread starter macrumors newbie

Computer use

Well, I mostly use a computer for internet and email. But I also have a really nice Canon Digital XT and I love playing around with my pics. I travel from time to time and I take my excrutiatingly painfully slow ibook G3 with me. I've called tech support from the first week I got the G3 and none of the repairs have helped and I'm maxed out on RAM. I dump my pics on the G3 when I'm away from home and well, it works for that but I really don'e have patience for it. I think the G5 looks awsome, but the powerbooks are a work of beauty as well.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I say go for the iMac G5- unless you must have a portable system.

10. Kaufy thread starter macrumors newbie

ibook specs

My ibook is a PowerPC G3 version 2.2
    800MHz
    640 MB
    Running OS X 10.2.8
    12.49GB available

11. switchr92 macrumors member

Ouch

yeah, that's a pretty old system; I would go iMac, unless you NEED portability; It's just a way better deal.

12. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Double Ouch....

Double Ouch.....think of gettin a new ibook dude... :cool:

13. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Your iBook doesn't sound *that* bad. There were a lot of people trying to get iBooks with a lot worst specs than that on Wednesday. In my opinion, your machine should be fine for the web, email, and a little bit of fun in the iLife suite.

Furthermore, you sound as though you appreciate portability. If you did not have a mac yet, I would tell you to go with the Powerbook, since portability is something that interests you. However, since you have a G3 iBook, I would suggest you buy an iMac G5 and keep the iBook, for the road. You'll have fantastic performance at your desk, and portability, albeit a little slow, when you need to have your computing on the go.

14. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

If it is taking that long to start then there is something going on in either your startup menu or the iBook is trying to connect to the internet and getting hung up.

Try this. Open Help in your Finder. If you get the spinning wheel of death then there is something wrong with your internet connection. If it is a wireless connection then your computer is having trouble connecting to the router (which I would bet is not an Airport Extreme or Express). You may need a different router. If it loads quickly then you need to look at your start up menu and see what is in there (which you can find using Help because it started up okay). There should just be about 3 or 4 items in your startup menu.

Of course the easy way around start up lag is to not shut down. Let your iBook sleep instead of shutting it off.

Oh, and if you haven't, get Onyx from versiontracker.com and run the Maintanence feature.

s.

15. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I keep a can of WD40 in my bag and give it a nice spray every once in a while. A pad of butter will do the trick in a pinch.

16. Kaufy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all your replies! Today I bought my first Mac desktop! I love the iMac, although I haven't even had a chance to take it out of the box yet. As for my little ibook, it spins and spins (not when connecting to the internet, but at start up and and when I try to view my pics, and various other times), but I'll either get it repaired AGAIN or just rely upon my imac and my patience.

I'm thrilled with my purchase!

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Congratulations! You did the right thing. They're very cool. :)

18. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

19. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

AWESOME DUDE! it'll serve you for years to come!! :)