powerbook or macbook pro

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by hansolo669, Dec 27, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

i have a question:
    should i buy a 15inch powerbook g4 (high res, or a older model macbook pro? i don't really need lots of power as its mainly going to be used for school work and some internet (but nit a lot) i have a more powerful desktop so, recommendations? anyone?
    also note that i am on an (nonworking) high schoolers budget which (for most of the year = $0

2. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It really depends on your budget.

PowerBooks are dead, and any MBP will outperform them. Software is starting to move away from PPC as well.

3. macrumors regular

Don't get a PowerBook. Even the top of the line ones are incredibly slow these days. MacBook or MacBook Pro all the way.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

5. Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. macrumors 6502

7. thread starter macrumors regular

oh....well any sugeestions (anyone :? )

8. thread starter macrumors regular

for $700 (im in canada btw) apple.ca dosnt (i beleve) for that price so...

9. macrumors 68030

spaceballl

If you're worried about budget, buy a used macbook. Make sure you're on Intel architecture, preferably 64 bit. If you can wait, new Macbooks are predicted to be coming out soon after January, based on a completely new architecture. I imagine prices on older laptops will drop even more after that.

10. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Don't spend $700 for a PowerBook.

You can easily get a used MacBook that will outperform it in every way for around the same price.

11. macrumors newbie

I totally agree, if you cant afford mbp at the moments save up a little and buy it later on theres no point getting a powerbook IMO [​IMG]

12. thread starter macrumors regular

thanks every one :D
    and spaceballl i dindnt know new macbooks with a new arcitecture were coming out soon, good to know
    good for used prices two :p

also the $700 that was throun araound was for a used macboo pro, not a g4 powerbook
    well i shall ponder in the comfort of my own head and see what i think :cool:

13. macrumors regular

In that case, I recommend utilizing a non-volatile storage medium, like a book. Soft cover will be cheaper than hard cover, but there is likely a used book store near you where you can realize substantial savings over the price of a new book.

14. macrumors 68000

student_trap

remember that as a student you are eligible for discount prices from the apple store online

15. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Actually the student discount is for higher education only. There's no discount for high school students.

16. thread starter macrumors regular

high school :confused: i though that was for universtys? meh i get a staff discount anyway (long story)

oppse thanks Darth.Titan:p

17. macrumors 68000

student_trap

there is actually (at least in the UK). However it is not as good a discount as the HE one:)

18. macrumors 68000

In the US, there is no discount at all. The student discount is HE-only.

19. thread starter macrumors regular

ummmmm...what!?!?!?!?...oh wait, ha ha very funny :|

20. macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I have 2 PBs, which are still running as new. They are both excellent rigs, which have and continue to serve me well for certain things. Earlier this year, I upgraded to a uMBP and I am quite pleased. In today's world, there are certain tasks, which I need to perform, that my PBs are not fully capable of performing. I would definitely look into the newer rigs.

21. thread starter macrumors regular

finaly a pb owner to ask questions of :p how are your powerbooks for word documents and such (powerpoints exel etc) and light(i know the limets i have a single 1ghz mdd) fire fox web browsing?

22. macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I have a 1.33GHz PowerBook G4 at school with me (Soph. year college) and it's great! I do computer coding (C and other languages), word processing and web things without a hitch. Most people whining about performance never owned a PowerBook. I put 2GB RAM and Leopard on mine and it flies! I'm typing this to you right now on it!

Coincidentally, I'm actually selling mine to update my aging desktop. So, if you're in the market for a PowerBook, let me know! (I have a thread in the marketplace too if interested)

PowerBooks are great, and despite the performance drawbacks when compared to higher end (and priced) models, they make the perfect compliment to a powerful desktop!

23. macrumors 603

SkyBell

I agree with the above poster, anybody who says PowerBooks (or any of the later era G4 Macs) are slow have never used one. They may not be as fast as the newer Intel Macs, but they have more then enough power to get the average college student/user through their day. If you can find one for a good price, go for it.

(Based off of experience here; I ran off of a1.33 GHz G4 iBook, and now on a 1.42 GHz eMac; both have served me very well, with no complaints about speed.)

24. thread starter macrumors regular

ironic that i want a pb because i want a powerfull desktop...forces me to use it! btw could you either post or pm the marketplace link? id like to see it :D(and incidentaly i am (finaly...agin) in the market for a g4 powerbook, yay:apple:
    btw is it a ti book or a al book? just wondering

25. macrumors regular

There's a macbook in the refurb section of the apple store now for $750. Comes with a 1 yr warranty too.