Powerbook or Powermac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacAddictPB, Apr 14, 2005.

1. MacAddictPB macrumors newbie

Well I originally thought about getting a dual 2ghz Powermac but, I thought (for once) long and hard and thought it wouldnt be a good decision because quite frankly my room is rather small and isn't really big enough for another desktop (I have a pc). So then I got into the whole Powerbook scene. I read several reviews on them and they seem like a nice computer but, the reason I was going to get a powermac was to be able to make nice videos. Also, I wanted to make a switch to an mac because they are very dependable and I use an emac every day at school and I absolutely love it. So now after I give you a brief overview of my situation, let me get to what I escentially going to be using this mac for. Well I would like it to be able to run Photoshop CS and Final Cut Express. Those are a must. Also I would like it to be smooth. So what I am asking is, will a 1.67ghz Powerbook (15") be enough to run those programs smoothly? Also should I wait for the Powerbook thats coming out in 2006 thats suppose to have a dual core processor? Sorry for the long post but, this will be my first mac although I use one everyday at school. Games arent important either. I never really planned on making it a gaming machine. Thats what the A8N SLI mobo and 6800U are for :D Once again, Thanks!

2. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

I use Final Cut Pro HD, Photoshop CS and Avid Xpress Pro on my PowerBook regularly. They all seem to run just fine to me, obviously a G5 would run them better but the powerbook is no slouch

Mine is rev c I believe (before the 1.67Ghz was an option) but it goes as follows:

15 inch Al PowerBook
    1.5Ghz G4
    2GB RAM
    80GB 5400rpm HD
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 w/128MB VRAM
    SuperDrive

There hasn't been a task this thing hasn't been able to handle. This is easily the best computer I've owned. However if you want a G5 consider an iMac, while they are another desktop they are all in one and offer G5 peformance in a compact space. I nearly bought one myself instead of my PowerBook, however I'm glad I didn't I love it.

3. MacAddictPB thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear that the Powerbook is able to run this smoothly! Thanks Again! Also your setup is exactly like the set up I am getting except Im getting the 1.67. Gosh Im so excited! Thanks again!

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

It's funny when people ask is it "enough to run these apps". All the macs on the market at the moment and probably all the macs sold in the last 18months are "fast enough." Just if you want smoothness obviously you'll go for the faster machine. I don't see much between the powermac and the powerbook, so it's really a matter of choice, whether you want a portable or not.

I own a PowerMac G5 and would only choose a PowerBook G4 as my next machine... altho hopefully by the time i'm in the market there'll be powerbook g5s.

5. tingkumajique macrumors newbie

it's really advisable to run your FCP and photoshop scratch disk seperately from your system disk... i might like to add... :p

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Go for the PB, but make sure you put the most ram in there that you can afford and you should be able to run the programs pretty well.

7. MacAddictPB thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, you mean to run the programs off a seperate partition? Sorry, like I stated before this will my first mac so I know the lingo is a bit different than from a PC. Also, Thanks to everyone! You all helped me out big!

8. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

scratch discs are where your projects would be stored within a given program. For instance in log and caputure (FCP) under capture settings you can select which hard disk to capture to (your scratch disk in other words). Obviously this is useful only if you have more than one HD. External HDs offer higher capacity and performance than internal PB HDs so they are very valuable when doing editing work as you eat up space really fast.

9. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Choice Setup !! :eek:

I was so close to doing the same as you, I leaned to the Powermac, because I only work 3 nights a week, and spend lots of time at home. If I need a portable, I go to a local coffee shop and remote (VNC) into my G5 at home..

I hate my Latitude, but work paid for it, and I get a new one every year so I couldn't see myself luggging around 2 laptops, so I went with the PM..

If you have only 1 computer, and like to surf the web from a park or coffee shop, go with the Powerbook. With the new City wide WIFI going up in Minneapolis, I will soon be in the market for a 12" ibook before fall!!

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I always say; if you have a desktop you like, get a laptop. Powerbook all the way.