Powerbook or Powermac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Approx, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Approx macrumors member

I did just baught a Powermac MDD 1Ghz with superdrive, 1g ram etc.

But i dont like the noise and i have talked with the people that soald me the powermac and i can switch to a powerbook. But how is the performance copered to the powermac, is the powerbook click and wait or is it fast? i really need an advice. please help me...

2. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

The new powerbook is fast, not as fast as your dual ghz power mac but very fast.

BUT the fan in the powerbook can be loud also, my 500mhz tibook gets very loud with the fan at full tilt, and the powerbooks get very hot, almost too hot to touch.

I would say if you don't need a laptop stay with your dual gig power mac.

3. Approx thread starter macrumors member

4. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I understand Powerbooks are very tempting, I have one, and I want the new ghz one also, but really if you don't need to have a laptop then the power mac is much better. It will be easier to upgrade, probably last longer(laptops have shorter lifespans than desktops, due to being moved around more).

If fan noise is your only concern then forget the powerbook, like i said its fan is also loud, i find it so annoying that i walk away from the computer till the fan turns off. My PC has a loud fan but doesn't bother me as much(the tower is under the desk as opposed to the powerbook which is right under you.)

I didn't have a choice though, i needed to have a laptop to go back and forth to class and work with me but for my family i'm desperately trying to talk them into the low end dp 867 power mac. :D

Either way though your getting a quality computer, after all, it is a mac. :D

5. railthinner macrumors regular

come out powerbook owners

I've waited a long time to get a Powerbook and am just about to pick up an 867, when I get real nervous hearing complaints about heat, noise and then the report that the 867 is as slow as the 667. What gives?

I thought the heat and noise issue were solved with the last dvi models, but I need an accurate update on all of these issues before I buy. aaaaaahhh.

any advice/help is appreciated.

6. Approx thread starter macrumors member

Yes it's a mac.

Yes it's a mac, i love my new Dp 1 Ghz MDD. But the fans are to loud, i have put some new fans in but it didnt help so much. But my need's are just a fast comp i can edit video and audio on.
    And some design and quark stuff, And a little gaming. I am no hard core gamer.
    But it alot of good expansions on usb and firewire to.

7. Approx thread starter macrumors member

huh

867 as fast as a 667. Ahh that is the 1000 a 867? hehe.. ;)
    I hope not.
    How long is the batery life on the powerbook with dvd burner?
    And i am afraid of that i hav baught the cat in the bag, because if new cpu and arcitectur comse out on january then this comp is not that good (Powermac MDD 1Ghz)

Its a fast computer with alot of noise.. Have some one tryed to fix it. Cause the mobo on this is fixed and it still make nosie.
    I have even heard that apple are using us as beta tester on this new comp.

8. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I haven't heard anything about 867's being only as fast as 667, thats new to me....

I think the power mac is better for video and audio, the hard drive is faster. The powerbook only comes with a 4200 rpm hard drive. I stuck a 5400 rpm in mine and it did improve quite a bit.

Don't get me wrong guys i love my powerbook, i'm just saying that its a tough call on if you should trade your power mac for one. I think you'd be trading down in performance, thats why i say if you don't need the portability than stay with the powermac.

Have you tried going to http://www.xlr8yourmac.com I think they have some articles on quieting the power macs.

EDIT:here is the link to an article about quieting the powermac.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/...s/noise_reduction/g4_ddr_noise_reduction.html

9. railthinner macrumors regular

You have to scroll down a bit but the review is here. it's questionable I admit but troubling until someone clears this up. Paricularly when you add the other troubles--noise, heat, paint chips, possibly slow drives. I'm just looking for someone to convince me there's nothing to worry about.

oops......

http://www.macsonly.com

10. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

If it helps, most powerbook owners love there computer despite minor flaws(i have a paint chip on mine, on the back :( ) but i still would by another if i had the money and needed a laptop.

And many people who bought the new one are repeat buyers of tibooks and not just macs in general, I've never heard someone say they'd never buy another. Most people are like me, happy with ours, but drooling at the newest one and trying to find any way possible to justify spending that much when we already have one....