Powerbook + OS Tiger

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PC Convert, Dec 5, 2004.

1. PC Convert macrumors newbie

I will be attending college in fall 2005 and have begun considering what sort of laptop to take with me to college. I have already decided that I would like to switch from PC to Mac, as I have become quite interested in the Powerbook through friends and personal experience. However, given the updates that are soon to come (namely the dual-G4 or G5 processor in the Powerbook and OS Tiger), I am unsure as to when to actually purchase the Powerbook. I would find it helpful if anyone here would take the time to answer some questions I had regarding this:

- When will the dual-G4 and/or G5 Powerbook be expected to come out?

- When will OS 10.4 be expected to come out?

- How much would I expect the price of a 15" Powerbook to increase once it is released with a new processor?

- What would you consider the ideal time to buy a Powerbook (between now and summer 2005)?

Thanks

2. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Check out this URL:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Now is not the time to buy a powerbook.

- When will the dual-G4 and/or G5 Powerbook be expected to come out?

I'd say Macworld in January.

- When will OS 10.4 be expected to come out?

March/April?

- How much would I expect the price of a 15" Powerbook to increase once it is released with a new processor?

I have no idea. Apple usually seems to try and keep the same price points, so I would say that the 17" would be 3k again with a 15" model at $2200-$2500 hundred.

- What would you consider the ideal time to buy a Powerbook (between now and summer 2005)?

Try and get one after Tiger so that it comes preloaded... That's what I would do.

3. badehette macrumors newbie

badehette

I would wait until you need the laptop and then buy whatever Apple's offering then. It would be a better buy than the current ones for sure

4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I'd wait till at least after Tiger comes out, which will certainly be before you leave for college, and don't forget about the edu discount.

Also, see if you college gives out MS Office free, so that you don't get roped into buying it. I've got a lot of great software thanks to the beauty of educational licensing.

5. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Wait as long as you can, for several reasons.

I'm not sure how the edu. discount works at Apple, but I know for sure you'll be eligible if you're enrolled in college.

Apple hasn't had a good track record with the first iteration of new "cats." i.e., 10.1.0, 10.2.0, 10.3.0 . You'll want to wait for 10.4.1 before you move into "Tiger," if you can help it.

The machines are constantly improving, and as someone said above, Apple tends to keep the same price points for it's new processors. You might, if you time it right, be able to find the previous generation (today's) computers for a relatively cheap price.

Don't forget to budget for MS Office. Yes, there are free alternatives, but it's still the best. (C'mon, Apple! Make your own!)

Good luck in school, and welcome to the Mac world in advance!

6. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

wow it looks like I disagree with the WAIT theory.

I think that NOW is a good time to buy.
    Buy at a lower price on eBay or the EDU.

Lots of laptops on eBay come with installed software!
    Could be a big safer on money!

I like the current crop of laptops.
    I have a ALubook 1.5 and I have to say its great.
    and with a 128mg of ram on the video card i think that its pretty much future proofed for when the new OS comes out which will be very depended on the graphics card ram for speed and use!

So get the 1.5 with 128 Vram at the best price you can with the most appz installed that you can.

And thats my opinion.

7. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Mid-year 2005 or later, I'd say.

"First half of 2005" -- straight from Apple
    I'd say March.

Apple usually doesn't increase prices. They keep the prices the same, and whatever was already out (and is thus now "so yesterday") gets a price drop at resellers like Amazon, etc.

Summer 2005. Consider buying from Apple -- you get the EDU discount. During summer, Apple typically has promotions to encourage sales. This year you could buy a PB and get a new iPod for $AWholeBunch of dollars off ($200? I don't know). So, wait. You'll be happy you did.

8. jestershinra macrumors regular

If you've already been accepted, than you can get the edu discount now. It's quite substantial- definately worth the wait.

9. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i agree that the current bunch is certainly great, but an update will be the price of those down even more on ebay and refurbs etc. and since he doesn't need it right now, it would be best to wait.

10. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

The current models are great of course. I have a 15" loaded PB and I love it. But since you'll be going to college in Fall 2005, I would wait for the new models.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I got a "pimped out" pb for college. I waited until the beiging of Aug ( i think i placed the order on the 2nd) and i got it about 2 weeks later....I would wait until you need it for school to buy it, if you can' wait i would def. wait to tiger is released because you will save alot of money