powerbook over iBook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nybombers142, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Nybombers142 macrumors member

I dont expect roaring proformence from any mac laptop, but would a powerbook(12") make any noticable difference from a iBook. I only want to play Civ 3, Sim City 4, and a whole bunch little games that you can download from the web (1- 15 mb?) I do plan to upgrade the ram to 640 in the iBook, or 580 for the PB.

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Depends upon what iBook you're getting, but the graphics cards in the iBooks are actually better than those in the 12 inch powerbooks...

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

A PB has the advantage of more RAM and a faster processor, other then that the vid card on the iBook is better, the PB needs a new card.

4. JasonL macrumors regular

If there's any way that you could get the 15" PB I'd certainly recommend that. What else do you want to do with your machine besides play those games? I certainly wouldn't make my decision based solely on which is the better gaming platform.

5. Nybombers142 thread starter macrumors member

i dont know... Im just trying to give myself a reason to slurge and buy the powerbook. that al. case with with the glowing apple... drool...

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

SimCity 4 was unplayably slow on my iBook G4, but I haven't checked to see if there are patches, or if the 10.3.3 update helped performance. At 640*480, all graphics minimised, the game ran at 3-4 fps, and there were graphical anomalies everywhere... :confused:

7. alxths macrumors 6502

man... if gaming's a priority for you, don't get the 12" pb or ibook... there's only a couple hundred dollar difference between the 15" and the 12", and you get a much much better video card. i, myself, regret buying the 12" for that reason...

8. JasonL macrumors regular

I just want to make sure that you check the refurb prices out, too. Same warranty and everything (with APP as an option, too). Not that I want to be responsible for people getting into more debt than they can handle (which is something that you need to figure out); but you could also finance the difference. I don't know if you have a fair amount of cash saved for this or not, but an extra $500 for a much better system financed over a couple of years makes for some very small payments.

As relatively affordable as the iBooks are, nothing would stink like buying a computer that can't do what you ask of it a year down the road. The upgradability of the iBook is less than stellar. Don't get me wrong, they're great computers if they can do what you ask of them. I recently recmmended one to my sister-in-law, whose primary uses for it are word processing, internet browsing, and some digital photo editing (basic, non-photoshop stuff). She should get 3 years out of it (if not more) without a problem.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

edit: I see refurbished 15" Al PBs at the online applestore starting at $1599 and going up to $1999 for one like mine (but with 512MB RAM). $1599 isn't that much more than a decent iBook will run.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Gaming isn't really a priority for me, but I was very confused that UT2K3 runs well with the graphics all the way up, and looks beautiful, but SimCity 4 looks like **** with the graphics all the way down, and runs like **** as well.

10. alxths macrumors 6502

sorry, i was referring mainly to the original poster of this thead.

in any case, i believe SC4 is very cpu dependent, as there are so many variables to process, as opposed to more video card dependent fps where you've just got a some guys running around

11. kewp04 macrumors newbie

i recommend getting a 15in powerbook as well cuz it's simply much faster than the ibooks and the 12in pb. you can find reviews on the apple laptops at cnet.com. i personally have a 14in ibook with 640mb RAM. even tho i can play older games like wc3 and quake 3 beautifully, the ibook cant handle new games like ut2k4, which is a must-play game for me. plus u can get a refurbished 15in PB at apple.com for only $1600 now. :D

12. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I have a rev B 1GHz 12" PowerBook and it runs Unreal Tournamnent 2004 (demo) really well. In fact, I hooked up with my brother on our new cheap 'n' cheerful Dell 2.4GHz desktop (integrated Intel graphics though) and my 12" PowerBook outperformed it. Both games ran in 1024x768 with all settings on highest and I was getting 25-30 FPS while the Dell was getting in the region of 20, with it getting quite jerky at times. Unfortunately I forgot to bring my mouse home from uni so he won, with an unfair advantage over me using the trackpad! Don't dis the 12" PB too much - it performs better than most people give it credit.

My advice though, don't buy a laptop based on its gaming performance. Especially with Macs, where a cheap PC will do much better. For instance, the 12" PB was the absolute limit on my spending - it was a stretch to get that, so the 15" was out of the question. Plus, even though it's faster and has more features and stuff, it's also bigger, heavier, more bulky, etc.

13. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I would also try to get a 15inch PowerBook, maybe a refurb. They are so much faster in games. Also people have to remember that the iBooks are Apple's budget laptops, they are actually very good for what they are. Most budget PC laptops come with rubbish Intel graphics. I recently got a 2000XP PC laptop (for my mum) and you can barely play Generals on it, it has some integrated SIS graphics.

14. Nybombers142 thread starter macrumors member

Oh i definaitle dont want a 15", too BIG, too EXPENCIVE!! And gaming isnt that big of a priorty,or I would get a desktop PC (Dell? :eek: )

but no, i want OS X, and a beutiful powerbook, with the... drool...glowing appl..drool... es on back...

15. nargot macrumors regular

With those performance requirements an ibook will easily do it for HALF the price, eg my ibook (the one i am typing on my lap meters from a wireless router) has 640 mb ram, 60 gb hd, BT, APX and cost me $2450 AUD... a stock 12" PB would cost me $2900 AUD. I am a mac person from WAY back, never been a switcher and this is my most FAV mac so far. Get the 12" ibook and you WILL be happy!

16. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Maybe you should set a budget and put an iBook config up against a PowerBook config to see what the differences are for the money you have.

17. nargot macrumors regular

Good idea, what do you really have to spend... and how much are you willing to spend? It makes a major difference to the machine that you will purchase.

18. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Sim City 4 is notorious for needing the absolute fastest cpu/best video card that you can get. With that in mind I would recommend waiting a couple of months to buy it. Aspyr is coming out with Rush Hour for mac and the Deluxe edition most likely will come at the same time. So save money and buy the deluxe edition!