powerbook owners: is a keyboard cover necessary?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by r6girl, Nov 9, 2003.

1. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

hi there. i've owned my 12" powerbook now for about 1.5 months and love it! i haven't been out and about with it too much to experience this myself, but i have read some posts in this forum about dirt from the keyboard transferring to the screen and/or the keyboard damaging the screen if pressure is applied when the powerbook is closed. i did a search for keyboard covers here and only found a few hits on this topic.

do you powerbook owners think a keyboard cover is essential to protect your screen? i know marware makes one that is pretty inexpensive (though the dimensions don't seem to indicate that it will fit my 12" perfectly without hanging over the sides).

any thoughts would be appreciated!

marianne

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have had my PowerBook for as long as you have without any problems. I think Apple made that 1/10" gap between the lid and the keyboard for this reason since the older PowerBooks had problems with the keyboard marking the screen.

3. joshuajestelle macrumors regular

I've had my 17" Powerbook since just after they came out and there is definitely a transfer of dirt from the keyboard to the screen, but not a real lot of it.

Its actually probably oil from your fingers that gets on the keyboard and then transfers to the screen.

Also, I do bring my Powerbook to and from work, to coffee shops, to libraries, so its getting moved around a lot and I'm sure this contributes to any dirt that gets on the screen.

What I recommend to powerbook owners is not to get a keyboard cover, but rather get some cleaning solution and clean your LCD often.

None of the marks from my keyboard havn't come off fairly easy using cleaning solution and nonstatic wipes.

I've heard Klear Screen is the best, but I havn't been able to find their product. I use Fellowes Screen Cleaning Wipes. They're ok. But the wipes seemed to have dried out a bit toward the end of the container.

Josh

4. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

No prob

The problems you mention are from the 15" Tibook. What happened was that oils from your fingers would stay on the keyboard, and when you closed the screen they would transfer from the keyboard to the screen. You could just clean it though. The problem exists in a large number of laptops, not just Macs.

Me? I lug my 12" PB in my bookbag, along with my jacket, 3 books, and all my supplies, occasionally. I haven't had any problems with it, and I still don't have any Hard Drive or dead pixel troubles!

PowerBook G5 is correct, the gap is for that very reason.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Just to be on the safe side, I slip the thin styrofoam thing that came with the laptop in there when I am carrying it in my bookbag. It's not to pretty but it gets the job done. If you are really overprotective like me but actually have the money to spend on it, go to JR Hill or ACME Made for protection with a little style. My father uses the vinyl from JR Hill, and the screen sleeve thing from ACME looks solid as well, both look to be great products for protecting your baby.

6. r6girl thread starter Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

thanks to everyone for the responses! i don't think i'll be so worried about this issue anymore. but, i am pretty anal about my powerbook, so i'll probably get something to use when i am toting it around a lot, as well as some screen cleaner.

stoid: thanks for the links to jr hill and acme - i hadn't seen these products before! i think i'll be going for one of these instead of the marware cover...

marianne

7. joshuajestelle macrumors regular

Its worth noting that I used to use a cover I purchased, I believe it was the MarWare one, and it actually seemed to put too much preasure on the screen.

My screen had weird rubbing marks that I believe were due to too much preasure from the keyboard cover, it seemed to be a bit too thick.

Josh

8. r6girl thread starter Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

yes, that's one thing i worried about. i haven't seen any of these covers in person and wondered if they would be too thick and just add to the problem instead of helping...

that's good to know about the marware cover - thanks for the info.

marianne

9. Prabz macrumors member

<yawnnn> and you could always use your savings to...

!Goodnight Folkz..z..z... . .

10. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Use your foam as long as you can, just to be safe.

11. g808 macrumors regular

I've seen it at the Apple Store. You can order it online if you really want it.

Sunglass bags also work pretty well.

Too bad iskin hasn't made their keyboard protector for the new aluminum books. I wouldn't mind one to keep dirt and other crap from getting into my 17" PB.

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i used to have a TiBook, and i just put a peice of paper on top of the keyboard. nothing fancy was needed (unless you really wanted it, or is the sort of person that would spend $400 on a pen... :p). but i haven't had any problems with my new 15" PB, althought sometimes dust does get on the keyboard, which can transfer to the screen when it's closed.

the PB manual says that you can use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the screen, and that's all i use.

although occasionally i guess you would have to use a cleaner, especially if you get stuff like pasta sauce, and noodles on your screen. :p but luckity i've avoided that so far. :D

13. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

radtech.us

these guys make the best Powerbook acsessories
    check it out, including the screen and kb protectoer
    Andreas