Powerbook Peril!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lougle, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Lougle macrumors member

I own a 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook G4. It has 768MB of RAM (Apple installed) running Mac OS 10.4.2. Today my PowerBook began running very slow. Clicking menu's, opening apps and simple tasks like turning on/off bluetooth will prompt a spinning wheel of death. If left alone for a few mins the task will finish. The computer is just running really slow. I have tried using Disk Utility to repair permissions with no change. I restarted and shut down the computer and now it is taking forever to get into the OS. Right now it is stopped at a blue screen with the mouse arrow but I am sure I will get to my Desktop soon. What should I do? I had this problem about 3 weeks ago and I solved it by formatting and reinstalling Tiger (it was time anyway). Why is this problem happening again? I would like to avoid reinstalling Tiger again... Thanks!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, the most obvious thing is to open up Activity Monitor and see what's eating up all the CPU. Whatever it is, figure out why--could be a berserk 3rd party utility, or something else, but whatever should show up in the process list as taking an undue amount of CPU.

If nothing is chewing up the CPU (highly unlikely) and it's really a "clean" install, it's theoretically possible it could be a bug specific to your particular computer, but I'd tend to look at disk (or other hardware) problems. Have you noted the SMART status of your drive and/or run the Hardware Test CD that came with your computer?

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Maybe you keep installing a weirdo 3rd app and it makes your comp slow. :confused:

Find out the app that is doing this, shut it down, and see what happens. Computers don't just slow down by themselves.