PowerBook Power Problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mal, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm having serious problems with my PowerBook G3 WallStreet. The power adaptor I had been using (hockey puck) recently stopped working due to wear and tear, and I was forced to switch back to the old model (recalled version:rolleyes: ) Now, the power adaptor only works when I hold it at an angle in the back of the computer, as if it is unable to get a secure connection. I have temporarily fixed it by looping the cord around the monitor at the correct angle and pressure to hold it in place against the recepticle, but this is obviously not a good solution. I ordered a new power adaptor (Micro Accesories, through OWC) and recieved it today, to find out that it is much worse about this same problem! I don't think the problem lies with the computer, but that is what the evidence points to. Anyone else ever experienced something like this?

JW

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I had a very similar thing happen to my old clam shell iBook. What had happened is that 2 of the 4 pins that connect the power assembly to the logic board had de-soldered/come loose. I was able to get the iBook to charge by propping it up under the power adaptor as this forced the pins back into contact.

I fixed it by dis-assembling the iBook and resoldering the pins.

3. Nightwatch macrumors newbie

PowerBook clamshell

How did you fix your problem with your Powerbook G3? Are you in Chiba now, I used to work in Tokyo.