PowerBook Power Problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mal, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    I'm having serious problems with my PowerBook G3 WallStreet. The power adaptor I had been using (hockey puck) recently stopped working due to wear and tear, and I was forced to switch back to the old model (recalled version:rolleyes: ) Now, the power adaptor only works when I hold it at an angle in the back of the computer, as if it is unable to get a secure connection. I have temporarily fixed it by looping the cord around the monitor at the correct angle and pressure to hold it in place against the recepticle, but this is obviously not a good solution. I ordered a new power adaptor (Micro Accesories, through OWC) and recieved it today, to find out that it is much worse about this same problem! I don't think the problem lies with the computer, but that is what the evidence points to. Anyone else ever experienced something like this?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    I had a very similar thing happen to my old clam shell iBook. What had happened is that 2 of the 4 pins that connect the power assembly to the logic board had de-soldered/come loose. I was able to get the iBook to charge by propping it up under the power adaptor as this forced the pins back into contact.

I fixed it by dis-assembling the iBook and resoldering the pins.
  3. Nightwatch macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2004
    PowerBook clamshell

How did you fix your problem with your Powerbook G3? Are you in Chiba now, I used to work in Tokyo.