Powerbook + Powermac G5 ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jcru, Sep 3, 2004.

1. jcru macrumors newbie

Ok....I'm thinking of buying a new G5 and want the mac community to decide where I should spend my $$$ (haha....). Of course, I need to decide myself, but a little positive feedback couldn't hurt.

I've had my Powerbook 15" 1.25 & 20" Cinema for about a year. I've come across a pretty good Education deal for G5 dual 2.0ghz for $1999. I've been wanting a G5, plus lately the Powerbook has seemed a little slow and sluggish. I do web development/design (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, HTML, FTP) so I don't necessarily need huge power, but still... doesn't everyone crave a G5!!!!

I think having both machines might be a little excessive, but I plan to "loan" the PB to my wife because she has a dying G3 iBook.

So I guess my question is to those that have mutiple Macs...I know there are plenty of people here that "collect" Apple products :) I think most of us would like to have one of every model. So to those that have a PB and PMG5....do you find it is useful having both. Do you notice the G5 being MUCH faster? i'd assume so.

Thanks for your feedback!

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have a Power Mac G4 and my wife has a 15" PowerBook. She uses hers a lot for work, wirelessly. It works well because both of us can be on a Mac at the same time. I say if you want a G5, they go ahead. If it were up to my wife I would have one on the way.

So as you said the decision is yours. ;)

3. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

I have one of each of what you desire. If your wife doesn't bother on getting the powerbook, then get the G5. You are right that others want one, I know I do and have it. But if you do a lot of work on it like you say you do, specially with photoshop then you defenetly need it. Performance wise, you'll see the difference. You won't regret it ;)