Powerbook + Powermac G5 ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jcru, Sep 3, 2004.

1. jcru macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2004
    Ok....I'm thinking of buying a new G5 and want the mac community to decide where I should spend my $$$ (haha....). Of course, I need to decide myself, but a little positive feedback couldn't hurt.

I've had my Powerbook 15" 1.25 & 20" Cinema for about a year. I've come across a pretty good Education deal for G5 dual 2.0ghz for $1999. I've been wanting a G5, plus lately the Powerbook has seemed a little slow and sluggish. I do web development/design (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, HTML, FTP) so I don't necessarily need huge power, but still... doesn't everyone crave a G5!!!!

I think having both machines might be a little excessive, but I plan to "loan" the PB to my wife because she has a dying G3 iBook.

So I guess my question is to those that have mutiple Macs...I know there are plenty of people here that "collect" Apple products :) I think most of us would like to have one of every model. So to those that have a PB and PMG5....do you find it is useful having both. Do you notice the G5 being MUCH faster? i'd assume so.

Thanks for your feedback!
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I have a Power Mac G4 and my wife has a 15" PowerBook. She uses hers a lot for work, wirelessly. It works well because both of us can be on a Mac at the same time. I say if you want a G5, they go ahead. If it were up to my wife I would have one on the way.

So as you said the decision is yours. ;)
  3. iBert macrumors regular

Jul 14, 2004
    I have one of each of what you desire. If your wife doesn't bother on getting the powerbook, then get the G5. You are right that others want one, I know I do and have it. But if you do a lot of work on it like you say you do, specially with photoshop then you defenetly need it. Performance wise, you'll see the difference. You won't regret it ;)