Powerbook pre-installed w/ Tiger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tag, Apr 29, 2005.

1. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I'm about to take the plunge and get my first Mac. After a good long period of thought I've decided on a 17" powerbook.

During the last week or so Ive been waiting for Tiger to come out before I ordered as I figured they would start to come pre-installed with Tiger on them. Now I noticed that the PowerMac page at apple was updated to say that it comes installed with Tiger, but not the powerbook or any of the other macs I noticed.

So does anyone have any idea if the powerbooks will soon be coming strait with Tiger installed, or will I just have to buy the upgrade from apple after I buy my powerbook?

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

They will all come with Tiger preinstalled if you ordered past I believe April 27th. The PowerMacs were updated the to show the new 2.7 GHz and drop the 2.5 GHz and make some changes, therefore the new "Ships With Tiger" was added.

The Powerbooks will ship with tiger.

If you choose another Mac, however, you should wait, as "Tiger Related" updates should occur with every mac... and they will all be done by WWDC. The Powerbooks were basically JUST updated so they dont need a new one for a while.

3. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

That's not true it takes up to 60 days for all existing non-updated models to come with Tiger. But I might be wrong this time around.

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Never heard of the 60 days number, but that seems accurate. It takes a while. Tiger will be in the box, but you'll need to install it yourself.

5. ErinGoBragh macrumors newbie

If it's any help, earlier this evening I just bought my Powerbook, which came with Panther preinstalled and the Tiger Installation DVD in the box. It was REALLY easy to do! I'm already up and running...

6. metsfan489 macrumors member

If you order it now, you will get your powerbook installed with panther and in the box will be the panther system restore discs which will have panther and ilife '05 on them. You will also get the tiger dvd in the box, but you will have to do the install yourself.

There is no set amount of days you have to wait to get tiger preinstalled, whenever apple's current stock runs out, the new powerbook shipments will be with tiger preinstalled. The powerbook is a very popular line so they should start comming preinstalled with tiger within the next 3 weeks.

7. tag thread starter macrumors 6502a

tag

Thanks for the info everyone. At least it will come with Tiger then in the box. Guess Ill be able to really play around with panther and get to know the OS, then in a few days when Im confortable can do a nice clean install of tiger. After so many windows and linux installs, it will be good to know what a Mac install is like. So a win-win.

8. indigoblu macrumors member

I ordered a PowerBook on Monday, it shipped on Friday because I got all the upgrades. I'm not sure if it will come with Tiger or not, but at least I know I can get it for $10 if I need to with my receipt. Hopefully it will at least have the Tiger DVD in the box.

9. iridiumFrog macrumors newbie

Be aware that you may not be able to get a "nice clean install" straight off the Tiger DVD, often it is only upgrade discs that are included, and hence the Tiger DVD must be installed over an already running Panther installation.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Apple usually doesn't give out upgrade disks. If they do, you can still do a clean install. The install program see that Panther or earlier is there, then allows you to do a clean install as normal.

11. indigoblu macrumors member

My powerbook shipped Friday and arrived today. It was already loaded with Tiger, and came with the DVD.

A few bugs with Tiger, but the powerbook works great with it.