Powerbook predictions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by snofseth, Dec 6, 2003.

1. snofseth macrumors member

When does eveyone think powerbooks will be updated to G5?
    Personally I hope and think it will be its next update, somewhere around may-september for back to school at the soonest maybe march. I dont think I need a 15 i like my twelve but I wouldn't mind a bigger screen a 13" wide screen or not powerbook would be very cool maybe a 1.4 g5 and 64graphics would be cool, but I hope they fix the problems with the case i.e. footpads the screws in my screen come out and so on and how bout around 7 hours of battery life that would be awesome, but if this is cripled like the 12 right now in comparison to the 15 maybe 15 will be better
    But when and what do you think the powerbooks updates to G5 will be

2. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

Personally, I don't expect updates until MacWorld in the Summer...

I would expect a major case revision.. something new and innovative like Apple always does..

That's all I got..:)

3. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

I hope the updates come in jan...

G5 please... I hope we don't have to wait until summer to get g5 PB's!! that is when i want to get the RevB g5 PB!!!

4. riwanami macrumors member

I hope they do come out with a G5 PowerBook soon. There've been rumors about a March release, and then Steve Jobs said something about end of next year... Who knows, I think it'll be a fantastic product, but I'm not sure if I'd buy a Rev A. G5 PowerBook. I'd wait for Rev B or even a second generation G5 PB for Apple to work out the bugs and quirks.

5. cubist macrumors 68020

Some folks say that the first generation is sometimes the best. The rev A Powerbook G4's (400/500MHz) don't have any problems with latches or peeling paint.

I wouldn't expect any case change for at least two more years. The G5 will have to wait for 90nm chips, and will likely be in the fall of next year - possibly announced at WWDC, with shipment in September.

6. mykemp macrumors newbie

A friend of mine has talked me into holding out for the G5 powerbook, so the sooner the better for me... Hopefully March, I'll have some $$ saved up by then.

What about the rumors of chip cooling in the G5 power books, and the possibility of liquid cooling being used. Won't that warrent a case change?

7. powerbookje macrumors member

powerbookje

not true, I have an old Ti 500 and the paint chips ALOT

8. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

i am waiting for a 15 inch G5 with 128 ddr graphics card. It's way more than I need, but with laptops you should always buy more than you need. Of course, a dual G4 would be cool too.

I would like to see the new fuel cell battery though. If it's not ready when the G5mobile is, I bet Apple will allow for upgrades later on. 20+ hours of battery life! They could charge $500 for one.

G5 powerbooks at WWDC 04 in july, available in late august-early september.

9. primalman macrumors 6502a

The PowerBook G5 will be announced at WWDC in June 04. They will ship in August 04. They will start as 15" and 17" only, probably at around 1.6 and 1.8, maybe 2.0 G5Mobile [90nm].

We will have at least one more G4 revision.

10. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

steve jobs did say the end of 04, and i would think he will want to stay to that. i would like to see it in march for when i buy a new laptop, but i would say the fall is earliest we can expect it.

11. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

my 2 cents...

Good/functional design takes time and especially when the G5 chip is involved. I would rather see them take their time and really nail the design and all the issues involve, like heat and battery life.

What are the chances that they will include a blueLaser DVD in the next PB?
    Would be sweet.

~e

12. mattroberts macrumors regular

mattroberts

no g5 anytime soon..

BUt i expect a 64mb video card in the 12in PB and a possible bump up for the 15 and 17.

cheers
    m

13. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

minor speed bump...hopefully the last one.
    airport extreme standard on ALL powerbooks
    bigger hard drives
    and all for $100 less on each one.

Come on SJ, it's Christmas....

14. primalman macrumors 6502a

What PB does not have Airport Extreme?

15. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Perhaps he means the card coming standard and not as a BTO.

16. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

if there is one more G4 revision, then the G5 won't be introduced until way after WWDC. The latest PBs were updated in Oct. no? So assuming 5-6 months between updates, the next will be in March/April and the next after that Sept/Oct. I say expect a small G4 bump in March with improved graphics, HD, and maybe FW800 in the low end. Then, if we're lucky, the intro of the G5 (1.4-1.8 ghz) in October.

17. Packetloss macrumors newbie

Who cares really?

If you are considering a new Powerbook right now, buy it after the conference in January, revised or not revised.

And then buy the G5 Powerbook in June, 2004.

Then you don't have to worry and you can use your G4 Powerbook until June, 2004.