PowerBook Price Info

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by BalladBeach24, Jul 17, 2002.

1. BalladBeach24 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I'm new to this forum, and in all honesty, I'm new to the Mac. I'm working at CompUSA, and have the chance to buy a TiBook, 400mhz. However, it has a cracked screen. We can add a new screen to it, that's not a problem. My question is, how much should I offer them for the PowerBook???? It's new, but, like I said, has the cracked screen. Let me know what you think. It'd be greatly appreciated!

Brian

P.S. I don't even know if this question is even in the right part of the forum. If it isn't, I apologize. Like I said, I'm totally new to this forum, and the Mac.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Unless it has a seriously upgraded hard drive, and maxed out RAM (1GB), don't offer any more then $1200. PowerMax is listing a PB G4 400MHz at just under $1500, and that is a factory refurbished model. Since you are talking about getting it from incompusa, stay with the $1200 max.

Who will be replacing the screen??? Is there any warranty with it (that is worth a damn at least)??

3. BalladBeach24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll probably buy the compusa warranty on it, since they cover broken screens. but, it's $369, ($499 if the price is over $1500)... but the thing is that i have to wait 30 days for them to replace the screen. why this is, i still don't know... i work there, and they still can't tell me why it's like that.

Brian

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If they are being like that, then I would suggest holding off and getting one of the new ones when you can afford it. Do NOT get the incompusa warranty, get the Applecare plan. You will be getting more then just a speed increase with the rev. c TiBook, you also get the L3 cache. I had a 500MHz rev. a TiBook and I upgraded to the 800MHz rev. c. The L3 cache gives it an even greater performance boost then the 300MHz would indicate. The better video is also a very good thing. From an 8MB Rage128 to a 32MB Radeon 7500... large jump.

Even a 667MHz rev. c TiBook would be a far cry better then the 400MHz rev. a. Save a little longer, and go new (or much newer), you won't regret it.

BTW, the Applecare plan on any new system (or one under a year old) is only $349. You get great turnaround time on repairs (unless Apple is waiting for the needed part to arrive). I used it on my first TiBook, and say only one day without the actual laptop. I sent it out one day, they got it, repaired it the nect and then shipped it back so that I had it the following day. They ship you an Airborne Express box, with an ezreturn label on it. You call for the pickup and it costs you nothing. The Applecare will also help the laptop to retain it's value. I got a few hundred more for my rev. a when I traded it in because it still had about 2 years left on the Applecare plan.

5. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

forget bout it!

Do NOT buy that 400 Ti, it isnt worth 1500.

WIth that money you can get another laptop,
    maybe the iBOOK, a newer version which will have a better Graphics card.

That Ti will not run quartz properly.

Just forget about it...

Not to mention that you work there and they cant tell you why the wait?

what a bunch of LAMERS... Too hell with them, they dont deserve your money!

6. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

not worth it

Its just not worth it... I would crack my piggy bank and get a new one...

-evildead

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Hey Grokgod, why do you think we commonly referr to it as incompusa??? :D It's not for their great technical skill and knowledge, that's for sure. :eek: :D