PowerBook price

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by marco007, Jan 20, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Oct 7, 2006
    is that ok price to pay
    1.5ghz g4
    9700 128mb
    2x512 ram
    80GB hdd
    1050 USD
    sorry my bad english :)
  2. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    erm... what price?

EDIT; ahh yea I see it. Hidden away after the HDD option :rolleyes:

You can get a refurb G5 iMac for less that that, and it has better specs across the board. Unless you need the PCI slots, I reckon get the iMac :)

EDIT2; here are links; iMac Core 2 Duo for $1049, G5 iMac for $999 (I'm assuming you live in America)
  3. macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Agreed. Unless you absolutely need a laptop, there's no way I would buy a PowerPC laptop at this point. But the G5 iMac is good. :)
  4. macrumors 68010

Sep 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    There is absolutely no reason not to buy a PowerPC based laptop at this point, especially one of the later models. However, I wouldn't pay that price for it.

The PB I am using right now was bought a few months ago second hand. It's a 1.33Ghz, 512MB, 60GB HDD, COMBO and it is in absolutely perfect cosmetic condition running Tiger, iLife 06 and iWork 07. I purchased this machine for less than $400, although I did get a steal, most people would get it for around $600-700 max.

I would not pay more than $750 for the machine you are buying.

The comparison to a desktop iMac is worthless as it is a completely different form factor, which will sell for less at a greater specification. If you need a notebook, you need a notebook and no desktop will fill that void.

If however, you do not need portability then particulary that Core Duo iMac listed above is a fantastic deal.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Oct 7, 2006
    i need mac/powerbook
    what about this:
    macbook core duo (not core2duo) 1.83ghz
    60gb hdd
    512mb ram
    13.3" :(
    INTEL 950 :(
    925 USD
  6. macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    There is this place known as Apple refurb store :D

Those prices you are quoting are insane.
  7. macrumors 65816

Jan 26, 2006

Refurb Store: Go to Apple Store, scroll down and look for savings on right side of screen. Refurb prices are lower, full apple warranty, may get extra goodies (more ram, bigger hd, etc than on box), free ship, and for another day or two IIRC, a printer $100 rebate (i.e. free printer).
  8. Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    What do you want to do with the Mac?

If you use Photoshop / CS / etc, the graphics card doesn't contribute much, so don't whine about GMA950.

If you use the Apple photo/video apps, that's another story.

For general processor-based stuff, the MB is faster in almost all cases.

If you play games, then I'd think the fact that the MacBook has an Intel processor and can run Windows games would override everything else about it.

Of course, if you want a 17" screen, it's going to cost....the person who paid $400 or whatever it was for their PB got a good deal, but I'm doubting it was a 17" (they didn't say).
  9. thread starter macrumors member

Oct 7, 2006
    i live in small contry-estonia :D (north europe)
    so buying from Apple Store will be a bit difficult
  10. macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2006
    Well, unfortunately European prices aren't really comparable to American prices. Things tend to cost quite a lot more in Europe, including used stuff (Damn Americans and their low taxes :p ). I assume most people assumed you were from USA, because you told the prices in USD.

I'd check the UK refurbished store section to see how much used Macs cost there if there isn't a Apple online store in your country...
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    what are you using the computer for? it would help to know what your needs are.
  12. thread starter macrumors member

Oct 7, 2006
    desktop replica :) (late movies in the bed :D ,sometimes gaming will be nice-COD/COD2 ,wifi etc)
    i have already nice pc (c2d e6600,2gb microns etc)
    ps.our online store http://www.mac.ee
    1 estonian kroon=0.083USD :(