Powerbook prob. after airport security

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Tommy!, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Tommy! macrumors regular

Okay, so I have my cool new YaoMing book, which I love to death...

I brought it to san francisco, and traveled through hartford. After hartford, it was fine! Leaving from San Francisco, however, they put it under what I think was a demagnatizer. Whatever it was totally screwed over my computer!

The computer boots to the spinning gear, as normal, however it doesnt stop until about 10 minutes later, where there is a blank gray screen. I can hear the hard drive trying to read the same thing over and over, as it makes the same noise (rythmn, if you will) constantly.

I have tried everything I know... I tried reinstalling, and the installer does not display a hard drive for reinstalling the software. The Disk First Aid cannot repair it, and tried some combination of keys that reset some kind of power management that the apple guy told me to do... I tried firewire TDM as well, the host computer crashes if it is OS9, and the hard drive simply doesnt not appear on OSX systems. I really wanted to use my new yaoBook with airport at school (today is my first day with him at school) :( Anyone have any last resorts before I take it to the apple dealer? Thanks a lot

Tommy

p.s.- I neglected to backup my data- MP3s I dont care about, but I have about 300 low-medium res pictures that are worth a lot to me. Thanks again

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Sounds like your hard drive is kragged. Probably the huge magnetic field of whatever it was wiped part of your drive. Never put any laptop through any kind of X-ray machine. If the FAA says you have to do so, get a refund on your ticket and take a train.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

NEVER take your Mac to a dealer if its under warranty. Call Apple care and see if they have had similar complaints, they may be able to fix it or suggest a place ot take it who can just replace the HD, because is sounds like that's the problem.

BTW what machine did you go through the airport. The X-Ray machines don't affect computers, nor do the metal detectors, and you shouldn't have had it go through the new scanning machine for checked luggage.

I am a pilot, and I travel often, and have never seen any "demanitizer" at an airport, if there is one you have legal grounds to sue the Airport, TSA, and the indvidual who ran your computer through it.

TEG

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thank god. i like being a man ;-)

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

May I ask what you are talking about, sounds like a dumb remark to me, please explain.

iJon

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Most people talk about taking their new macs to a retailer to have them repaired. It is just a waste of time, they will just tell you to call AppleCare. They also charge money for any work, where as Apple Care doesn't (As long as its not your fault).

BTW that demagnitizer, I'm on a Sun Machine at work, and my "g" key isn't always working.

TEG

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

dont know who you are taking it to, we have never done that, apparently you dont know how resellers work as well as applecare, im not trying to be mean, you just seemed uninformed.

iJon

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I work with three different Apple Authorized Dealers in three different states, and I have called them, and taken my TiBook and they have said either, "Go Home and Call AppleCare" , "Its Faster if you Call AppleCare" or "We would have charge you to look at it. You should Call AppleCare and have them take care of it."

So don't tell me Dealers are as good as AppleCare. Anyway, Dealers charge an arm and a leg to fix little problems, and your first born for bigger ones, so I'll stick by calling AppleCare, and shipping my machine for repairs.

TEG

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

sorry for your crappy dealers in your area man, that really sucks having to call apple every time. but not EVERY dealer is like that. we glady fix the machine under apple care, as long as its a hardware problem because software problems arent covered under applecare. and if its under warranty and we fix it the customers doesnt pay anything, so please dont mix up your dealers which appear to be not that good with the ones i work with, just talk to law guy about it.

iJon

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Well iJon, Where is your store. I may need to come by to have soem work done :) Its good to hear that not every Apple Dealer is like this. I have a feeling that, this could be a problem with switchers, used to taking their computer in to be repaired, and told they can't.

TEG

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

good, iwasnt trying to be mean in any way, i was really surprised that a dealer would do it. you just sounded like you had some bad luck and you needed to be reinlightned. but yes you are correct, if those dealers are gonna be asses and not help and charge to fix something under warranty then you should call apple and have them fix it.

iJon

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

damn that scott mcneally and his disrespect for the 'g'!

normally, i bypass spelling goofs, but you made such a funny word i couldn't resist.