Powerbook problems

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DickArmAndHarT, Feb 1, 2005.

1. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    IM about to send my less than a year old pb away for the third time!. Firth the screen latch/then faulty display cable/ "faulty motherboard and bluethooth module" says apple care when i tell them how my right side usb does work and many ports on that side work selectivly.

Recently i realized that my displays backlighting is horrible. Its bright and glowing around the edges and very uneven..This hasnt been a problem until i was watching dvds and i realized how big of a problem it is.

(1) -is is worth to call apple care and ask them to replace the display panel when i send it away and will they do this.. I have a few minor scratches on this current display and it will be super nice resolving the problem and a perdy new display.

(2) Also.. Is there an apple lemon rule..This thing..my first mac has been full of problems??

(3) Does apple ever give away free things because of the inconnvience?? And..if it was replaced..do they send you the current model..

Thanks ahead for the Help

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Wow, I'd say you are unknowingly abusing it or you just plain unlucky. :rolleyes:
  3. DickArmAndHarT thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    This computer is pampered!

Being a professional machine i would expect it to be very strong and being the amount of love i have for this machine is pampered. Big padded case in a padded backpack, radtech screensavr, icurve stand to keep it cool.

I guess im just unlucky.
  4. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    For your backlight issue, don't tell them what to replace, just make sure they know of the issue. The might not replace the panel for that, it may just need an adjustment to tyhe backlight. Don't mention the scratches, they'll want to charge you to repair user caused damage. Whereas in fixing the issues that are covered with warranty, they might take care of the scratches anyway.

And be polite. Especially if it needs a 4th repair. In that case point out that you think it is unreasonable to have a machine that needs so many repair attempts in a year (or whatever the time period is).
  5. DickArmAndHarT thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    Lemon rule..New stuff...Backlight a known problem???
  6. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    If its the 3rd time your PB has been sent in I would expect them to either give you a new computer or somehow satisfy you.
  7. DickArmAndHarT thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    Should i ask?

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    DO NOT ask directly for a replacement. They don't owe you anything other than what you paid for (a working PowerBook of whatever model it is you have.) You can hint that sending it away again would be terribly inconvenient... :rolleyes: I suggest the pity route, it worked for a friend of mine.

As for the backlight, I've heard scattered reports of backlight problems, but I don't think it was quite the same as what you have. Tell them anyway, and they should fix it while it's in.