powerbook problems,

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by victor_patv, Feb 9, 2005.

1. victor_patv macrumors member

I just recently ordered a PB that was supposed to arrive tommorow, but due to my impatience I thought I'd give FedEx a call.
    It turns out that the package has been damaged and is wet, but is still due to arrive tommorow. The lady on the phone said that I would have to deal with Apple as they are the shipper.
    What should I do? Maybe the PB unharmed, what # should I use to contact apple? (exec email cutomer service or applecare... etc).
    Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Call Apple and ask them if you should accept or reject the package due to teh damage.

In you do wind up accepting the package, make sure the damage is noted in the delivery log before you sign for the package.

3. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Mae sure you do that! its very important.

4. victor_patv thread starter macrumors member

thanks,

Thanks for the tip, there's no way I would of thought of that. This will be first receipt of a significant package.
    I'm definitely going to call apple right now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Patrick, hopefully a future owner of a dry and undamaged 17" Powerbook.

5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't worry too much about it being wet. It is packaged really well, with severall different layers of foam. Damage wise, well lets just hope there is none.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

yeah, ship over 800 items daily with fedex, and the PB is probably ok. Usually when stuff gets messed up is when they drop the box and everything flys out which wouldn't be the case because your pb is in two boxes and wrapped in plastic bag. Your'll probably be ok.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Last time I checked, the outer box was simple cardboard. The contents of the package may or may not be okay.

Taking precautions like making sure the damage to the package is noted with the dhipper before signing acceptance is a very good idea. It provides proof that the package was damaged and therefore the contents could've been damaged during shipping.

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

yeah, and basically everything that get shipped fedex is cardboard. The inner box is cardboard too, what is your point. Do you think compaines would ship stuff in cardboard if it wasn't robust enough to handled roughly by the different shipping services. The answer is obivious.

9. Bear macrumors G3

Yes, I know the packaging is in general robust enough for normal shipping hazards, but if it got very soaked, it could still have damaged the equipment.

Why is my advice to make sure the package damage is noted by the shipper before signing for it not a good idea? It's simple and it protects the receiver of the damaged package.

Yes, you're right, it could be perfectly fine, but you can't ASSUME that.

10. victor_patv thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the help,

I'm definitely making sure they make a not of any damage before I sign for the computer (it is second only to my G5 as the biggest ticket item I have ever purchased).
    I called apple and they made a note of it in my file hopefully if something is damaged they'll be really quick about replacing it, I guess I'll find out for sure tommorow.
    Thanks for all the advice,

11. cubixcrayfish macrumors member

cubixcrayfish

Sort of the same topic, what happens when they come to deliver my $900 mini mac package when I am not home? Do they leave it by the door or come back later? According to the Fed-Ex site, it will be delivered in the morning and I will be in class. I hope they don't leave it at the door

CCF

12. Bear macrumors G3

Well, that depends on many things.. it could be left somewhere around your place. Of they could attempt redelivery for a couple of days. Or you can call and have it intercepted and you can pick it up at the fedex depot if you want. But you must have a government issued photo id to pick up a package at the depot...with the correct address on it. At least that's usually the case.