Powerbook PSU concerns

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Echidna, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Echidna macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2005
    Hi all,

I'm a recent switcher - I've had my 15'' Powerbook for a couple of months now and haven't looked back since. However, there's something that's been bothering me, and I'd appreciate any comments...

The power supply that came with the laptop blew up a couple of weeks after getting it. It made a crackling, fizzing noise, and then went dead. I returned it to Apple, who have shipped me a replacement.

This one has started to show strange symptoms as well - nothing nearly as dramatic as the first one, but at intervals it just cuts out completely. I can then unplug it (it feels quite hot), leave it for 30 seconds or so, and plug it back in - and it's all OK for a while. It does it at seemingly random intervals, and it's not every time I use the computer.

I've done some reading on the subject, and it appears that flaky power supplies are a fairly common problem, and Apple have a bit of a bad reputation regarding them. Could anyone just confirm that it isn't going to be doing any harm to my powerbook ? And if faulty power supplies are a common problem, do any of you use an alternative make ? If so, what are your recommendations ?

Any pointers much appreciated!

2. dvdiva macrumors member

Mar 17, 2005
    Most you can do is put it on a power conditioner/surge protector.
    I use an tripp lite Isoblok 2-0 which has noise suppression and a surge protector when travelling. At home it sits on a line conditioner and ups. Cheap surge protectors aren't going to do anything about noise coming in from power. Not much else you can do.