PowerBook Purchase Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Jan 23, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Assuming New PBs come out tues or next tues, once they are announced will they have the previous versions on sale at the apple store where i could pick them up?

Thanks,
    EJBasile

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Normally when the new computers come out there are very little of the old computers left. Sometimes non at all. You will probably be able to find them in Apple's Special Deals section.

3. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

You will also be too tempted by the new ones to want the older one. ;)

5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

True that! But i would serioualy stay away from the Rev A G5 PowerBook. Wait untill atleast Rev B. I'm guessing htere are going to be some issues with the first release of the G5 PB.

6. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Good advice... but if you follow the latest rumors, the new PowerBooks are NOT going to be G5's, just a slightly faster G4. :eek:

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I think that I remember them dropping like $50 to $100 depending on the PB model. And that is after any price drops that the new PBs might have.

8. attic salt macrumors member

When the PBs are upgraded...although only slightly - how will the prices be affected for the new versions? Will the drop or go up? Any input??

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Haven't been around long enough to say definitively, but in the year or so that I have been looking at PBs, they generally have stayed the same - adding features. Though with them getting long in the tooth (even with updates), they might also drop the price a little. Doubt that they would raise them. Not till the G5s hit.

10. oriol macrumors member

oriol

i have a question , when the powerbooks come out, the ibooks and other s Macs may the prices drop??

im asking this because im thinking to get my first Mac by tomorrow :p

11. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i'll second that. i purchased my rev. a powerbook just when the rev. b models were announced. i got lucky and found a local store that still had a rev. a in stock (i figured i didn't necessarily need the speed bump and hoped to save a little money) and it was marked down by $100 from the regular price. the new model was priced at the same point as the old model before the reduction. i did have to call several stores to find one with them in stock, though, so the supply chain dries up pretty quickly as they move old models out to make room for new models.

marianne

12. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

No.