Powerbook purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jimhandy, Oct 14, 2004.

  1. jimhandy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2004
    #1
    I have couple questions:

    1) I could get a MacMall.com's 15" Powerbook bundle for $1930. Is this is a good deal?

    2) Should I wait til Powerbook G5 comes out? How long will this take?

    I am hoping to join the apple family soon. :)

    Thank you.
     
  2. jumpman25 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2004
    #2
    I've been debating weather or not to wait for the revisions to come out, and have decided to wait. The next revision of powerbooks wont have G5's in them, but they should have faster processor (heard rumors of 1.5, 1.8, & 2.0), possibly 7200 RPM hard drives, and also possibly a mobility 9800. I would guess that the new revisions will be comming out sometime in november, as apple has been pretty good at updating powerboods every 6-7 months, and november would be 7 months since last updates.
     
  3. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

    runplaysleeprun

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #3
    i agree that new revisions will be coming out soon, but i would imagine they will come in 2-3 months, perhaps with the expo on jan 7th. freescale is having troubles with yields for high-end g4's, i think a more realistic expectation would be 1.33, 1.5, 1.8, and 5200 HD's across the line with BTO 7200 in the 17 inch.
     
  4. zelmo macrumors 603

    zelmo

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2004
    Location:
    Mac since 7.5
    #4
    Yes, that is a decent deal.

    As far as buying a PB right now, you have to decide if you need one now, or can wait another couple of months for a likely G4 speed bump. If you can wait, you'll get a snappier processor, a faster hd, and maybe also a better gpu, all for the same price. You'd also then be able to get a better deal on the model currently available today, maybe as much as $200 less.

    If you are thinking G5 (or dual core G4), I hope you can wait a while, maybe even a year or longer.

    Whichever way you go, good luck, and welcome to Mac!
     
  5. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2004
    Location:
    Can you say Chi-City??
    #5
    Going along with Powerbook update speculations, how feasible would it be to sell my current Rev. C Powerbook as soon as update rumors start surfacing? And at how big of a hit? I figure since I got it on edu pricing, selling should only set me back $200-300? Is this somewhat accurate?
     

Share This Page