powerbook question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by notEven, Aug 23, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2003
    i own a powerbook 400 and a pc with 1.4ghz athlon. my powerbook is painfully slow, it was always slow (i upgraded from a g3 300 and didnt notice much of a difference). So anyway, im wondering if i purchace another powerbook, be it the current 1gig or the new update (whenever or whatever it is), am i going to face the same effect?

at the time (about a year ago), i was blown away by how fast my pc was (i work mainly with flash, photoshop, illustrator). but had to, and still have to, deal with a cumbersome os (win 2000). granted, i was comparing 400 mhz vs 1.4 ghz desktop.

but on paper, since its inception, the PB has only doubled (well, maybe a little more) in speed. will the current top of the line PB (1Ghz) still be slower than my pc? (i know its unfair, but im comparing a powerbook to a desktop pc). I don't really need anything faster than my 1.4 athlon, but dont feel like dropping $2600 for something slower than my current pc.

i will mainly be using the powerbook for everyday tasks, and light "work" related use (unless it is actually faster than my current rig).

thanks for listening.

2. macrumors regular

Aug 21, 2003
    it will be faster ;)

but of course, a pc laptop would cost less than half that and be faster than the mac laptop :p
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    You *can* get a pc laptop for half the price of a powerbook and you *can* get a pc laptop that is faster than a powerbook (but also heavier and uglier), but you absolutely *can't* get a pc laptop that costs half of the powerbook *and* is faster as well. Wait for the update, max out the RAM and you will not be dissapointed.
  4. macrumors regular

Aug 21, 2003
    If you don't think you can get a pc laptop for $1300 thats faster than a 1Ghz powerpc g4 your mistaken, sorry. Apple has a beautiful operating system, I love it, I use it, but for bang for your buck power, x86 is the way to go.

<-edit-> sorry if I derailed your thread :(
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 29, 2003
    nah, just as long as im not dissapointed with my purchase, its ok knowing its not the fastest machine for the money. i still value the OS very highly, and the i-apps even higher.

just don't want a machine thats way slower than my 1.5 year old pc.