Powerbook Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jkeithh, Jan 26, 2004.

1. jkeithh macrumors regular

Wondering if anyone uses their PowerBook as their main computer? I am thinking of selling my Cube and using the PowerBook as my main computer, but wasn't sure if it would hold to being my main computer. I know none of my PC based laptops over the years were ever good enough, but now that I am a Mac only user I would like to be able to use my PowerBook as my main computer. Any comments?

Thanks,
    Keith

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

In terms of performance, a powerbook is nothing compared to a powermac g5... However, if you're used to a cube, a powerbook will be perfect for you, as long as you get one with specs as good or better than your cube... Which shouldn't be hard to do.

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    being in university now, i was forced to leave my desktop behind, and i use my powerbook as my main computer.

i miss the power of a desktop, but my powerbook fits teh bill just nicely. i guess it depends on what you do. but if your cming from a cube it doesnt seem likeyou do very intensive work, so any of the new powerbooks should more than compensate. plus u get teh extra mobility.

4. iGav macrumors G3

I do.... I've used PowerBooks as my main computer since 2000, and to be honest I couldn't be without it, I've not had a desktop for a few years now, and I don't really miss it, well except for the rendering performance, but that massive jump and difference in performance only occured recently with the G5....

I don't think you'll miss the desktop, if you buy a 2nd display as well, then you really won't know the difference... well except you get 2 screens and that's much cooler!! ;)

5. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I've used a laptop as my primary computer for at least 4 years (even before going Mac!), and I don't miss the desktop experience a bit. True that I'm not exactly doing 3-D rendering or other really intensive stuff, but I've never had performance issues. And the ability to pick up your computer and do whatever you're doing wherever you'd like to do it is really, really nice....I couldn't go back to being tethered to a desk, now.

6. niter macrumors 6502

I use an iBook G4 12" as my sole computer and I know several people that use the PB as a main computer. It really depends on what you do.

When I get out of school and to the point in my life where I would use a video camera, I am going to get a desktop to go with my iBook, Honestly though, i will never do the type of video editing that would require a desktop, so I might just upgrade to a PB then. I have a friend doing serious music and video editing on his 15" PB with no troubles.

7. hobbes3113 macrumors regular

hobbes3113

I have used a powerbook as my main computer ever since the Pismo came out. I never had any problems with it, and wouldn't have had it any other way. I now have the new 17" Tibook and am just as thrilled.

8. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I have a Al 15" 1.25 GHz Powerbook and a 1 GHz Dual Powermac. I probably use the Powerbook more than the Powermac, and I am presently sitting in bed, typing this note on the PowerBook. If I had to choose between the two, then I would pick the Powerbook.

9. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

17" alubook. Love it. I use a 19" LCD if I need *more* screen space. Performance-wise - look at what you need it for. Unless you have specific processor intensive needs - get a Powerbook, and put in a ton of (non-Apple) RAM. that's where the speed comes in...

10. studebakerhwk13 macrumors newbie

Are you kidding? Here I am sitting at home, my fourth glass of Glenfiddich, working on one of my biweekly jobs, listening to Velvet Underground on iTunes, and, if I want to, I can ppick up and go into the den and build a fire, or hit the sack and still finish my job this evening. Sure, a desktop would be cool, but I sit in one place most of the day working on a computer. If I have a choice of what I want to work on, and I can decide where I want to work, let it be a Powerbook. I am working on the 15.2" screen and can still do layout - but I do all my photo correction on a tube. Depends on what you do, maybe, could be, possibly ... but the G4 Powerbook probably still beats almost anything else you ever worked on before. OK ... tell me now ... can I type without typos even after four scotches. Same way I drive.

11. kanker macrumors 6502

At this point, my laptop is the nicer of my two computers. I have a 1GHz 12" PB and a 17" 800MHz iMac. The good thing is that there is not a major difference in perfomance between to two, although it is definitely noticable. Now I tend to use my iMac as a guinea pig for updates, new apps, betas, etc... and my PB is my main work and leisure axe.

12. studebakerhwk13 macrumors newbie

Oops ... ppick should be pick ... rofl at myself

13. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

A Powerbook will be fine. I have a 1 GHz Powerbook and an 800 MHz iMac, and while the iMac is only a year-and-change older than the PB, it gets blown away by the laptop's performance.

Just a couple things to consider:
    Make sure you know how much hard drive space (the standard storage on a laptop is going to be lower than the standard on a desktop). I still use my iMac for its storage space and its Superdrive.

14. g00gander macrumors newbie

My only computer is my 17" Powerbook.

I do tons of graphic, music and other CPU intensive tasks. It handles it like a champ. I could not live without it.

Of course I could always use more memory. Portability is a big issue with me as well and a G5 would stomp it but my G4 does very very well.

Like right now I have iTunes, Reason, Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Proteus, Mail, Safari and Mac Analysis running...it's doing just fine.

Attached Files:

15. jkeithh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the comments. It has made my decision to sale my Cube much easier.

16. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I agree that you can replace your cbe w/ a laptop - question is which one?
    Depeneds on what you use it for - if you truly need the power - then go for the 1.25 PB or 1.33 PB, other wise I would suggest a 933 Ibook and use the $600-900 you save on ram, external monitor (the ibook can be made to span) and other cool stuff.
    The PB gives you: slightly fasterbus, maybe 20% faster cpu, more ram, pcmcia slot and dvi out..plus cool features like backlight kb and larger screen - worth $600 - 900 more - not for me ;-)

17. jkeithh thread starter macrumors regular

I already have one of the new 15" 1 GHz Aluminum Powerbooks.