Powerbook questions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JCorn2, Jul 21, 2004.

1. JCorn2 macrumors member

Hey everyone,
    I am definatly buying a new 12" powerbook in mid august-ish and I am wondering if I should buy then or should I hold out for a bit and wait for a new release? According to the timeline thing... it says it is a safe buy but as always, I want the best and don't want to spoil the chance.
    Thanks for any help
    joe

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I have not seen any rumours of updated Powerbooks and seeing as you want to buy in a few weeks I'd say you are pretty safe....oh yeah!

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think you'll be safe as well.

As always: wait until you need it, buy the best you can reasonably afford - and make sure untill you can afford something that fits your needs, and then don't look back!

Of course there will be an update. Maybe it'll be the week after you buy. Maybe it'll be four months later. But there will be an update. That's life. But the PB is so nice that you won't care!

4. scottwat macrumors regular

It might be alright

unless the g5 powerbooks are announced the next week for the same price and with twice the power. Then how good of a deal did you get? Sure you will love the powerbook, but your getting a powerbook for the power if not you would get the 12 inch ibook not powerbook. Sorry, had to play devils advocate, I'm in the same boat, back to school cram and jam and all. But atleast the ipods are a great deal now.

5. JCorn2 thread starter macrumors member

Scott?

Is there a rumor/possibility that the G5 powerbooks are going to come out soon? Any news on any powerbooks would be a ton of help... thanks!
    Joe

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I think Apple has made it pretty clear that G5 Powerbooks are not coming soon. The earliest anyone realistically expects to see those would be MWSF in January 2005 (and probably shipping after that sometime...). Of course we cannot totally rule out Apple surprising everybody sooner than that but it is highly unlikely....oh yeah!

7. scottwat macrumors regular

No rumors yet

No rumors yet, believe me I keep looking, of course we had no real rumors on the ipod until a couple days before roll out. Apple is keeping things pretty tight in the rumor mill. I don't even remember any channel activity problems before it rolled out.

8. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

you are completely safe, if you want the 12 inch, know this, apple will most likely NOT have a powerbook g5 12 inch on the g5's introduction(geez i wonder why)___processor size, heat etc would make the 12 inch too hard to make to start up, but there is also no rumors of a new pbook anytime soon, except for one rumor i heard, but that is a load of crap, but ill say it anyway. iwas at the apple store in clarendon the other day and this customer came in to talk to a rep about buying an ibook, according to her a friend(who is this friend?) said that apple was going to release a new machine and she should hold out, but the apple rep said not to sweat and i was there for a while and she bought an ibook so i think that rumor was a load of crap, your safe

9. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

G5's will not be out untill the beginning of next year. The powerbook line was just updated 3 months ago.