Powerbook Ram, Crazy Pricing?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Shortsord, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Shortsord macrumors member

I delayed big time buying the proper amount of ram for my powerbook, and am now suffering the consequences.

Now, when I looked at prices for ram, this is the very latest of the powerbooks pc2-4200, I saw that they were a heck of a lot higher than they were when I checked at the beginning of summer. Worse, I waited a week, and they went up from $115(at the beginning of summer they were $95) to $135 for a gig stick!(dms prices)

My big question is, will these prices go down after a while in a normal fluctuation, or or should I bite and buy now before they go even higher?

Is this normal?

Thanks.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There have been a few threads on this recently. Basically, PC users are buying RAM like crazy in order to gear up for the release of RAM-hungry Vista, thus creating a shortage. Analysts expect RAM prices to remain high until at least Christmas, at which point they believe supply and demand will come back into balance.

3. Shortsord thread starter macrumors member

Fascinating. Is there a link you could point me to by any chance, I'd like to read more.

I guess my choice is either to get it over with or wait longer than I can afford to. Oh boy.

Thanks for your help.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here is an article from April. Here is a blurb from about three weeks ago. Here is one from yesterday.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That explains a lot. Thanks!

6. meepm00pmeep macrumors 6502

meepm00pmeep

my nearest Apple store wants $200 for 1GB SODIMM for MBP's (installation included) ouch!

7. Shortsord thread starter macrumors member

Great! Thanks a lot, that's exceedingly helpful.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Which is why you shouldn't buy RAM from Apple and you shouldn't have them install it. That said, it's less of a bad deal than it used to be, as I don't think Apple has bumped their RAM prices as everybody else's prices have gone up. (I could be wrong though...feel free to correct me on that.)

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

RAM is a commodity and these prices are most definitely reflecting supply and demand and what the market will bear.

Notebook DIMMS are in especially high demand.

Be careful about " bargain " pricing though.

I would always insist on buying RAM guaranteed to comply with Apple's specifications with a lifetime guarantee.