Powerbook: RAM or CPU?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gklau, Oct 26, 2004.

1. gklau macrumors newbie

Hi,

First post here. I'm interested in buying a 15" powerbook, but I'm undecided about which processor to get and how much memory to get.

I've searched the forums, but couldn't find a definite answer. Basically, I've decided to either get the 1.33 MHz and upgrade to 1GB RAM with Crucial, or 1.5 Mhz with 512 MB RAM. I know that there are other factors to consider such as a larger harddrive and backlit keyboard on the 1.5 MHz powerbook, but its not that important to me.

So the question is: Which is more important, RAM or CPU speed?

I plan to use the computer mainly to oragnise my life, listen to music, surf the web, presentations, producing documents, and the occasional use of photoshop.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think the 1.33GHz system will the extra RAM will be better, but I'm still gonna have to recommend the other option: CPU is more important.....you can always upgrade RAM later.

And don't even bother getting RAM from Crucial if price is so important. Get Samsung or OWC branded RAM from OWC, or you can even get Crucial RAM from Newegg for cheaper than Crucial prices.

3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Listen to this guy, I have always believed in paying more for the things that you can't upgrade later, like bluetooth and a faster processor. RAM is slowly getting cheaper and in larger sticks (not physical size) so get the proc. and make yourself happier in the long run.

p.s that 1.5 is really really really fast.

4. bubbamac macrumors 6502

The 512 MB Ram option will likely be a preinstalled 256 plus an extra 256 that you buy.

Shell out the extra cash now, and buy a 512 for the second slot. Panther runs best - it seems - with 768 or greater. I didn't notice much increase going from 768 to 1 Gig, but 512 to 768 was a very nice step.

That was a mouthful, sorry.

5. gklau thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replys guys.

If I get the 1.5 MHz processor, then it will come with 512 in two sticks of 256 as the base model.

6. asmith macrumors newbie

Well...

I have the 15" 1.33GHz w/ 1.5GB of RAM. I didn't notice a difference in performance going from 768MB to 1.5GB of RAM.

I use my machine for development (c/c++/java) and wish I had the 1.5. But the hard drive is the real performance killer. Make sure you get the 5400rpm.

7. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

get the fastest chip you can. you can always up the ram later

8. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

Take the 1.5 Ghz w/512 80g 5400rpm and backlit keyboard. It's a sweet machine.
    G5 dual 2.5 arrives Friday... unable to sleep.