1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

powerbook ram purchasing question...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BelgianHokie, Nov 16, 2005.

1. macrumors member

have a 15 in powerbook 1.67

with this type of ram modulep-

SODIMM0/J25LOWER:

Size: 512 MB
    Type: DDR SDRAM
    Speed: PC2700U-25330

would like to get a 1gb chip to up to up the ram in the laptop. when looking at a few sites i get a little confused on what it is i actually need to buy. i am planning a nice purchase at jr.com and would like to include the ram there if possible. what exactly is it i need?

they have this....

SIMPLETECH PWBK5331GB 1GB RAM for Powerbook G4
    Memory Upgrade For Enhanceing Performance of the Powerbook G4 / 1GB PC2-4200 533MHz Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR2 SoDIMM Memory

link- http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4069444

its 129.99.

i know i might get it cheaper somewhere else, but i am getting a great deal on some other items.

any assistance will be greatly appreciated and as a bonus...if you make it kabul afghanistan....i'll buy you a drink, ;-) since i know i will probably never know enough about macs to actually answer questions correctly.

thanks-

dhc

2. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nope. The JR RAM is DDR-2 for the new Powerbooks only, you have a Powerbook pre-October 19th with DDR PC2700 RAM. You cannot use DDR-2 RAM
    JR's RAM for your machine is $199.
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3982136

You will get a better deal at Data Memory Systems $139

Crucial is $206

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. macrumors member

thanks!

almost made a mistake there.

the cheaper ram....decent quality or is it you get what you pay for or is... ram is ram is ram?

dhc

4. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The important thing is that you purchase from a reputable firm who tests and guarantees compatibility with your Mac, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

If you get good quality, guaranteed compatible RAM, then brand name doesn't matter.