Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eagon

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
I wonder could anyone offer any recommendations for UK RAM websites offering cheaper 1GB sticks (for PB) than crucial because currently they are selling for £130.41 on Crucial UK which seems quite expensive compared to some of the US prices people are talking about on MR.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
http://www.offtek.co.uk

£109 including vat for a 1 gig stick.

I've heard offtek are quick and they also guarantee it will work.

It's a british store too, which makes me feel safer if something goes wrong.
(easier to take a pitch fork to the boss)

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
Eagon said:
I wonder could anyone offer any recommendations for UK RAM websites offering cheaper 1GB sticks (for PB) than crucial because currently they are selling for £130.41 on Crucial UK which seems quite expensive compared to some of the US prices people are talking about on MR.

I just bought 1GB from crucial 2 weeks ago for £106 (+VAT)...

Paid on a friday, got it on the monday.

Just noticed the other quotes included VAT :eek:

cmx

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2005
a little question: will ram bought in the US at crucial work with my (european/belgian) powerbook ? i figure it will but still ..

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I have 1GB in my 17 PB and was thinking up chucking more in it... until I discovered 1GB stick would cost me over AUD$400 in Australia?!?!?

Applespider

macrumors G4
It should work since it meets the specs but you'll have to read up carefully on what their returns policy is if it doesn't work - and see what they say re buying it for specific systems. Also check what the warranty on the RAM is so that if it fails later (RAM defects can show up later during system updates etc), you know whether you are covered.

The Kingston RAM that offtek are selling might be £20 dearer now but it comes with a lifetime guarantee and I'll lay evens that their customer service will be easier to get hold of than dabs.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
May 2, 2005
London, England
Just be aware that I bought some Corsair RAM for my PB thropugh the Corsair website and it was the wrong RAM. I then moved on to trusty Crucial and paid £130 but at least it worked.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
nsheikh80 said:
Just be aware that I bought some Corsair RAM for my PB thropugh the Corsair website and it was the wrong RAM. I then moved on to trusty Crucial and paid £130 but at least it worked.

Anyone here use eBuyer?

I've had some good prices on Crucial and Kingston RAM from them and if in no rush you can choose free shipping.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
RAM is also a concern of mine.
I want to buy anotyher 1gb, but RAM here in SA costs an absolute fortune.

Crucial seems to have a good reputation and (very important0 are willing to ship to SA.
My only concern is if there is something wrong, returning it is gonna be a bit of a problem (time + cost).

However, I think i may just take the chance with international shipping. Better that than to be screwed by the prices here.

ionisation

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2005
Kingston RAM from morecomputers

i got my 1Gb stick of Kingston RAM from morecomputers.co.uk

it's fairly hard to find what you want as you have to search for it using specific phrase ie KTA-PBG4 and then it gives you all of the kingston RAM for powerbooks. anyway, the 1Gb can be found here:
http://www.morecomputers.co.uk/textra.asp?pn=KTA-PBG4266/1G

it's £106 including VAT. and a little bit more for overnight shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.