Powerbook RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wheezy, Apr 18, 2005.

1. wheezy macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2005
    Alpine, UT
    Simple quick question...I have a 12" 1 Ghz Powerbook, 256built in, 256 additional, PC2100. I found a 1 gig PC2700 chip on ebay for a pretty good deal, and would like to know if PC2700 will still work in my Powerbook. Please and Thank you, the Wheeeez
  2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    It may clock down to PC2100 but you really can't be sure. The PowerBooks are very selective about which memory you can and can't use. It may work but you could experience crashes, kernel panics, etc. I guess you could try it and see what happens! :eek:

I wouldn't buy it... cheap RAM is never a good idea, especially if you're not even sure it's compatible!
  3. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    Just buy the RAM off of datamem.com, and save yourself the hassle. Apples are very sensative with memory. Just pay the $170, and get guarenteed compatible RAM.
  4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I wouldn't consider buying ram that was not made for my computer. Buy from a reliable source and make suer it's guaranteed to work.
  5. uncle macrumors member

Dec 23, 2004
    You could try here

to see if you can see your model and then look at the ram they are selling. If it's same spec as ebay sticks then I'd say you'd be ok. At least on paper!

I've always found OWC to provide reliable compatible ram.

Best of luck