Powerbook RAM upgrading questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GregUofMN, Apr 13, 2005.

1. GregUofMN macrumors regular

I've got a list of questions, so I'll number them for your convinience. Thanks for any answers!!!!

1. Does Apple use a 3rd party source for their RAM or do they manufacture their own Apple branded RAM for the 15" 1.25GHz FW800 AlBooks?

2. I was just thinking that if they did oursource their memory, and if I found the exact memory on another site, would that qualify for their price matching program???

3. Is there a brand or store that offers the best RAM?

4. I would like to improve my RAM from 2x256MB to max it out at 2x1GB to improve my system to the point that it will be a considerable difference when using multiple programs like Photoshop, Safari, iTunes all at once?

5. The manual for my PB states that I should use SDRAM in a SO-DIMM format with 200-pin PC2700 DDR333. Can I get away without using SO-DIMM or using 184-pin DDR on my laptop?

Thanks for helping.

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

3. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I promise you will feel considerable difference even if you just upgrade to 1 Gb.

A

4. David Brent macrumors newbie

David Brent

RAM Upgrade Question

I also have a question about RAM upgrades. Is there any advantage to having Apple install extra RAM when I buy the computer, or should I get it somewhere else and install it myself for a lot less. Also, how easy is it to install RAM in a powerbook? And, is there any effect on the warranty if I purchase my own RAM and install it myself? Thanks!

5. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

So you definitely can buy RAM outside of an Apple Store. How much will you save? Please give a suggestion of a super reliable, guaranteed store. Would like to save $$ over the Apple Store, but not willing to risk having to return RAM b/c it's not compatible, sux, etc.

Also, how easy/hard is it to do it? Does it void the warranty?

6. data1ore macrumors newbie

data1ore

No it doesn't void the warranty.

I bought my 2 sticks of 1gb Kingmax ram from Newegg for roughly 150 each, to give me a wham-bang 2gb on my 15" PB (one rev before the new one). Worked like a charm, and I definitely felt the speed increase coming from 512, then 1gb.

Go for it dudes. I'm hoping the 2gb makes a bigger difference under Tiger :).

7. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Well that is so much cheaper than Apple's prices! It's not even close, what's up with that?

And it's a simple install? Anyone point me to pixs of the process. Searched to no avail on this forum. :confused:

8. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I just ordered 1 GB of ram for my new Powerbook which will be on its way shortly. I got the original Samsung Ram that Apple also uses at OWC which can be found at www.macsales.com. I paid something like 220 bucks but their prices for the no-namer ram is even lower. I didn't want to take any risks as its being sent to europe. Returning lousy ram would be a real hassle and 40 bucks on the entire price I paid for the powerbook is hardly a huge difference.

9. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

It's very easy:
    1) remove battery
    2) unscrew a little plate on the bottom
    3) insert ram
    4) screw the plate back on
    5) put the battery back in

You should be able to find more detailed instructions (with pictures) on google.

10. jim. macrumors 6502

Apple, like most branded retailers, charge a premium on memory. That's the industry. Luckily memory is typically pretty easy to install yourself. I installed a 1GB stick into my PB, and it was simple. The only advice I will give you is:

1) Turn off the PB and remove the battery (typically a no-brainer, but some people don't do it, I'm sure)

2) Be sure the memory is properly seated. It sometimes takes some effort to get it to snap in completely. You can judge by looking at the gold connector of your installed RAM to see if yours is in all the way. They should both look the same.

If the RAM is good, you should be very happy.

Jim

Edit: Beat me to it Catfish!

11. David Brent macrumors newbie

David Brent

Thanks for the help. Any recommendations of where to buy on the net?

12. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

crucial.com is usually slightly pricey, but high quality.

13. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

It's probably a good idea to go to apple.com, and download their PDF on how to install it. Their PDFs are very good. (At least the one I got). You'll find them in the support section, under Do It Yourself Repairs and Upgrades.

14. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Any poz or negative feedback on the following dealers would be appreciated. My rundown on some sites for PB 15" 1.5 - and 1...

crucial.com is $376.97. Doesn't say it's the 'original', but apple is $350 for 1gb! No advantage as I can see to use crucial.com

macsales.com $217 for the 'original' samsung ram. Quote from macsales.com website, "Samsung Original DDR-SO Module. 1GB(1024MB) 200 Pin PC2700 DDR333 CL 2.5 SO-DIMM
    Apple uses this same module for factory PowerBook G4 memory upgrades/installations. Only difference - we charge about HALF as much for the same 1GB!"

datamem.com is $205 for 1gb 'original' samsung ram.

I'll probably go with macsales or datamem and get 2 1gb sticks and sell the 512mb that will come with the system.

15. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

How to from apple.com pdf file. Note this is for the 15" PB

instructions

16. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Actually the stock 1.25GHz came with Hynix 2x256 (well mine did anyway). Whatever ram you buy (there are plenty of threads to search here) get some with a lifetime warranty and that is easy to to deal with if something happens (OWC is good I here).