Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Should I have Apple install extra RAM (2GB) in my new PB
or should I just buy third-party RAM and install it myself?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
buy some from crucial and install it yourself. very easy to install and will not void your warranty as it is a user installable part.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The new HD 15 and 17 Powerbooks use DDR-2 SODIMMs, a different type of RAM from prior Powerbooks (and from the 12")

Recommend that you get your RAM from a reputable seller who guarantees compatibility with your specific Mac model, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

If you are in the USA, I recommend Data Memory Systems, http://www.datamem.com. Your best bet is to call them, as their online store won't have the information up on the new machines yet. (Crucial doesn't have theirs updated either)

Just for fun, get out a stopwatch and time how long it takes to get a Mac memory expert on the line.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I would wait for a couple of weeks before ordering 3rd party RAM. None of the manufacturers will be able to guarantee that their RAM will work in the PB, since they won't have been able to test it yet.

It may turn out that the new PBs are less fussy than the previous revisions about the RAM they can take so you may not have to buy guaranteed RAM, but until someone tests this out, there's not much you can do but wait.

If I were you I would be tempted to pay Apple the extra $200 to bump up to a single 1GB RAM module, then get another cheaper 1GB in a few weeks.

DavidP

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
PowerBook RAM

Which suppliers have provided the highest quality RAM for PowerBooks?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
DavidP said:
Which suppliers have provided the highest quality RAM for PowerBooks?
That question cannot be answered on a brand-basis

The two largest companies are Kingston and Crucial - their memory is good IF and ONLY IF you buy the models that are specific to your Mac. The brand name is no guarantee of compatibility if you buy the generic modules that are offered by discounters.

Samsung memory is popular because Apple uses primarily Samsung 1 Gb modules in the Powerbooks (they use Samsung and other brands for the 256 and 512 Mb sizes). Since Samsung does not sell direct, you can buy them from a number of online and storefront sellers. There are also very good modules made by Infineon, Micron and Siemens, which are sold by memory merchants. Again, it has to be the RIGHT module for your Mac.

The key is to choose a reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility of their RAM in Macs, and backs that up with a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work. As long as you get the right compatibility, there is no performance difference between brands.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2005
CanadaRAM said:
The new HD 15 and 17 Powerbooks use DDR-2 SODIMMs, a different type of RAM from prior Powerbooks (and from the 12")

Recommend that you get your RAM from a reputable seller who guarantees compatibility with your specific Mac model, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

If you are in the USA, I recommend Data Memory Systems, http://www.datamem.com. Your best bet is to call them, as their online store won't have the information up on the new machines yet. (Crucial doesn't have theirs updated either)

Just for fun, get out a stopwatch and time how long it takes to get a Mac memory expert on the line.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Trevor -
Datamem has everything you require to buy ram (reputable, lifetime, guaranteed to fit the new PB, etc.)?

mikelao

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2005
hey guys, i bought the new 15" powerbook and i am planning to upgrade the RAM. since it has 512MB ram internally, can i get a 1GB ram so i can upgrade it to 1.5GB ram? or do they have to be in pairs? (e.g. 2x512MB, 2x1GB)

thanks!

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2005
mikelao said:
hey guys, i bought the new 15" powerbook and i am planning to upgrade the RAM. since it has 512MB ram internally, can i get a 1GB ram so i can upgrade it to 1.5GB ram? or do they have to be in pairs? (e.g. 2x512MB, 2x1GB)

thanks!

Yes you can - no they don't have to be in pairs.

lieb39

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
mikelao said:

thanks!

That's what I'm planning to do :) 1.5GB all the way

-lieb39

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.