PowerBook Repair!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iZach, Apr 30, 2005.

1. iZach macrumors 6502

Ok so about a week and a half ago my PowerBook was having lots of problems. Long story short, I did disk repair, diskwarrior, reinstalled panther, EVERYTHING. It was broken.
    I took it in to Apple and they told me this:
    Since the pbook had some dents in it, the apple repair center could call me saying they would not fix it because accidental damage is not covered under applecare. Well I kept checking teh status of the pbook online, and finally it came to:

Hold - Admn. Requote

Crap, i thought. So i called the apple store, tey said the repair center should call me that day saying either i pay $800 to fix the dents, or they send it back with no fixed hard drive.

I waited and waited for the call. It never came. Today, I called Apple and spoke to a woman who told me that they decided they would fix it for free! Even the case!!!
    I AM SO HAPPY!
    And whoever the other person was who posted having similar problems with their powerbook, i hope you have good luck as well!

2. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Did you buy the entended Applecare?

3. iZach thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes.

But also I have only had the PowerBook since September.
    But yes, I extended applecare to 3 more years when i bought it.

4. iZach thread starter macrumors 6502

Update:
    I called back to check if it had started yet.
    The man told me that they were putting it on hold for requote AGAIN - this time becuase the bottom of my screen had some like extremely white pixels. So I talked to him very nicely, and he put me on hold for like an hour. Finally, he came back and said they will start the repair again on monday
    :D

5. tokyotripper macrumors newbie

One of my ram modules has quit being recognized, I brought it into the Apple store here in town and they told me it was most likely the logic board. I was asked to take it home and back up all my data so they could service it and possibly reformat it etc. After spending 2+ hours backing everything up, I took it back to the same people at the Apple store, at which point the lady at the Genius Bar pointed out some almost imperceptable dents in the corner of my powerbook, and told me since my powerbook was DAMAGED, all warranty PLUS my $250 apple care which hasn't even gone into effect yet were null and void. A flat fee of $800 to fix it, plus labor time/charges.

I'd like to add the dents come from the inside OUT, indicating they were done by someone from within, and the only service I have ever had done to my book were at THAT apple store, having my keyboard replaced, twice.

Needless to say my love of Apple is severely diminished right now, and all my PC using friends are laughing at me.

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

The applecare in my opinion is a load of crap that they have to do by law and they do the most minimal of work possible.

7. iZach thread starter macrumors 6502

you need to take it in to a different apple store, or get a different genious. convince them that even that they may think the repair center will send it back or call you for a requote, you want to try

call applecare and press 2 to check status of your repair
    2 again for powerbooks/ibooks
    when u get a person tell them (nicely) what crap this is
    make them feel bad
    and they will probably tell the workers to start the repair.
    happened to me!

8. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Just another reason why apple sucks. I tell you what, if my tiny little dent on the side of my super soft aluminum powerbook renders my applecare warranty void I am grabbing the little genius geek from behind the counter and changing his mind.

9. flyguy451 macrumors regular

Alllright then - let us know how that turns out! LOL!

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Thats incorrect, if you take it to an Apple dealer or an authorized repair center they often don't care if the case is dented. If your HD is not working or your screen they just order one from Apple and fix it. Cases are another story, but the nice thing about using a dealer is that they don't have to send the whole machine back to Apple, and they can fix the problems you want fixed without the hassle over case dents.

11. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

So true. I haven't had this experience but when my PowerBook's hard drive went, I had to take it in for service and went to a local authorized place and they were just SO much nicer to me.