Powerbook Replacement Parts?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Vio1, Jan 9, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently got a used 15" powerbook 1.5ghz, and it has a badly scratched top, side and bottom. Where can i purchase replacement parts? Does apple cover such damages?

2. macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Apple will not replace the case of the PB if it is cosmetic; only if its defective. You can buy replacement parts on ebay or places like http://www.pbfixit.com/, but they are not cheap.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

anywhere else?

Can i take my powerbook into the apple store to get it fixed? It has a really noicy superdrive.

4. macrumors 6502

Sure, you could take it to an apple store, but it won't get fixed for free/warranty (cosmetic is not covered under warranty). You could also try powerbookmedic.com. Or don't worry about the scratches, and just enjoy the PB. I eventually got over the scratches my PB got, and now I don't worry as much.

Kimo

5. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

All laptop superdrives are quite noisy, especially loading disks. I doubt Apple will be able to do anything about this.

6. macrumors newbie

Great UK iBook and PowerBook parts supplier

You should check out The Bookyard. They do used spare parts but also supply things like new third party batteries and superdrives. You can just buy the parts or use them to fit them.

7. macrumors member

Is the Bookyard a good shop?

Hi,

I want to get a new Superdrive for my (water-damaged) MBP. Having struggled to keep a straight face while I walked out of the Apple Store (£250 all in for them to replace it!) I found these guys on the internet (Bookyard).

I've never heard of them though, are they trust-worthy and reliable?

Thanks

Sean