PowerBook "Rev. E" Rumor Roundup: Will you upgrade?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Demon Hunter, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

What component(s) would make you upgrade to Rev. E, if it comes out this Wednesday?

The reports are interesting to say the least. AppleInsider's report seems most likely. Patents for a removable latch camera are much more likely after the iMac implementation, although no reports I've read mention it. Meanwhile, there is the typically exaggerated report from Mac OS Rumors, which includes the X800 and "minor enclosure revisions." If Apple goes with 1920x1200 (16:10 aspect) does that mean a bigger 17" PowerBook? :eek:

For me it would be pretty disappointing if they stay at 1.67GHz, but a 1920x1200 screen would be truly awesome for Photoshop work. If the GPU went to X700 (I don't think X800 can fit) with 256MB, that would also make me drool, although the extra gaming would be counter-productive. ;) DDR-2, it's not clear what kind of performance increase (or decrease) it will cause; and larger hard-disks are nice but not something I need; 7200rpm is not that different from 5400.3.

I'm intrigued at the thought of owning the last of the great PowerPC notebooks... not to mention, a super-refined Rev. E model. Forget Intel-Books! :D

2. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I don't know how good/ better they might get. I'm not sure apple will try and squish more pixels together, I mean, its constantly touting the "Perfect 100ppi" and how they match the ACD display's ppi, so who knows. I'm fine at 1440x900. As for DDR2, why does it even matter? The PB only has a 167MHz bus, and even if they upgrade to 200MHz, I still don't see the point. Why not use, cheaper, more-appropriate-for-the-crappy-bus memory? I don't know. Apple should just double standard memory configurations (1GB) and maybe do another speed bump...

Oh, and make the Superdrive dual layer.

3. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

It probably wouldn't look good to potential customers if it was still sold as "SDRAM". :rolleyes:

4. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Well the irony of the situation is that it is probably costing Apple more to keep the now "antiquated" memory in most of their systems. It cost more for me to upgrade memory for an iBook than a bleeding edge laptop. DDR2 memory is for the most part now cheaper than regular DDR memory.

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

True, I guess Apple is playing a looks game. 167MHz is pathetic (And an upgrade to 200MHz is just sad, what year are we in? :rolleyes: )...

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

what would make me upgrade to it.

if it were 2007 and revision B intel powerbooks

7. djkny macrumors 6502

If Apple's PB track record in the last few years is any indication, this Revision E will be lame and low.

I have a feeling apple will add some gimmicky gizmo like an isight cam to detract from deteriorating innards --- after all, in the grander laptop world, Apple's Powerbooks are museum pieces for the MoMa.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My predictions

12 inch Powerbook will recieve no update. It's looking more likley that it will be discontinued completely and replaced with a 13" widescreen model.
    Resolution will be the same as the current 15" model, processor will probably stay at 1.5ghz but may increase to 1.67. GFX gpu will be upgraded very slightly to a radeon 9700 64mb.

15" & 17" will feature updated display, utilising britelite technology of some description. Processor upgraded to 1.73ghz and possibly 2ghz on 17" model.
    DDR ram will likely be used and both models will come with a 9700 or X700 with 128mb ram.

Hard Drives on all models will remain the same as curently available and 512 mb ram standard. Apple makes so much profit on supplemental ram that they are unlikely to give us another 512mb...

Either way I'll probably wait for the intel powerbooks before I upgrade
    :rolleyes:

9. Lucky8 macrumors regular

Lucky8

Apple has always been playing the looks game. I don't want all looks but no go! :mad:

10. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

The 15 inch would also have to go to 2Ghz because it makes more sense. The 15 inch is so popular because the processor can go as high as the 17.

11. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

The real weak point in the current PB specs is the graphics area. The CPU side of things is well known but the 1.67GHz is more sprightly then it's figure suggests, OS X and programs like Motion need GPU power. The FSB is an issue but this could be circumvented by an on chip controller which had been touted as a feature of one of the up coming chips from Freescale, I won't hold my breath though.

In my personal opinion OS X does not work well on high resolution small screens, even with the 30in Cinema Display UI starts to get lost. Until resolution independant Aqua appears such displays in PB's don't interest me.

While it is always nice to have the latest equipment especially from Apple I want major changes to fundermental hardware that will save me real time when working; that means CPU (dual core or minimum 40% improvement), graphics cards (X800, 6800 even if it means a slightly larger case etc) on PCI-Express, SATA etc. Basically I want an overhaul of the architecture not just bits bolted on for headline grabbing appeal. I like the G4 even though most people slate it, for such a 'bad old' chip it has kept plugging away and has proved to be reliable and low power even if it isn't the fastest. My current 1.67GHz will soldier on until the Intel switch when I will get most and more likely all of the features on my wish list. I may however grab myself a dual core Powermac before the Intel machines appear.

The first gen Intel PB's, if we ignore any production issues and the tiny possibility apple employ dunces to style them, will be the greatest devices of their kind on the planet. The current PB's are the best designed laptops and have great features the question mark arises over their speed. A dual core Intel chip with the features listed above will remedy this. I do have doubts over what the switch to Intel will provide initially in the Powermac region, especially until all the software has caught up and been optimised; for this reason a last of the PPC dual core G5 would seem a sensible purchase but only time will tell.

12. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah... there are times my machine will have 2-3% idle during high CPU usage... simply because the FSB is saturated.

Doom 3 confirms your theory:

Attached Files:

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same thought here.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Which is sad because the OS is better than the PC's counterpart.