Powerbook Revs

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by achtung!, Sep 1, 2005.

1. achtung! macrumors regular

Hi guys! What does the reference "Rev D" means on some new Powerbooks? i know that's some sort of code to distinguish the PBs, but which are the differences between the other revs? How i know which rev a powerbook is?

thks for the time...

2. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I'll use the iMac G5 as an example, because it's really new and very easy to differentiate.

When the G5 was first announced last September it was a Rev A. These came with 1.8 ghz G5's on the top end, and 1.6's on the bottom end.

When the iMacs were updated in May, we moved to Rev B with 2/1.8 gig processors. The next update will be Rev C, and so on.

Basically everytime a new computer or significantly changed computer (i.e. aluminum PowerBook G4's) is announced, the Revs start from A and count up through the alphabet with each subsequent update.

To get some more information on the specifics of previous revs, go to Apple History.

3. achtung! thread starter macrumors regular

ok, thks chucknorris.

i thought the revisions instead of just upgrading the inside hardware would also give some updates in the overall design of the powerbooks (the exterior). like re-designing the space between the usb ports for example, redesign some bad funcional keys, correct probs with some "paint" wearing off, fixing the closing prob with PB (after close it, if we press down the two sides the cover bouces a bit - the ibook doesn't have this prob). some little things like these instead of just upgrading the inside hardware... i guess this design flaws will be only corrected in the next PB generation...

thks for the help, dude! ;)