powerbook running HOT?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bursty, Jun 17, 2004.

1. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

i have a 15" Ti Powerbook and it seems to be running very hot, at least to me....it seems to be very hot to the touch. i was just wondering if thats common and shouldnt be worry about, or if something may be wrong? i do tend to leave it on for hours at a time, should i start turning it off whenever im not using it?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

First of all, a 1.25Ghz is not a Titanium. It is an Aluminum.

Reports at that the ALs get pretty hot because Aluminum conduct heat. It is like the entire PB case is one large heat sink. Compared to the Titanium(which doesn't conduct heat as well) only gets hot directly below the proc. And it's perfectly ok to leave your PB on. Mine currently has an uptime of 9 days. Though i do put it to sleep every now and then, and I recommend it just because it it does allow the book to cool off. I did backup 2 DVDs and converted 2 cassettes to CD today afterwhich I sleep my powerbook.

Heat is common and shouldn't be a concern unless it starts causing problems. The Tibook's fans are a problem. They scare me.

3. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

i thought the latest generation is the Ti? either way, i have the lastest one, i just got it a month or so ago.

anyway, i guess i wont worry about the heat too much

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You could use a CPU temp monitor and compare online with other people.
    http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994

Sorry, Apple didn't start putting thermal sensors in their laptops until the Aluminums, so I can't help with my CPU temperature.

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Mine ranges between 120F and 140F. It's honestly disconcerting. I'm planning on getting an iCurve. I recommend that. One of my friends has been immensely satisfied with his.

6. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

yeah i got that program from version tracker, mines right around 130*F. So is that pretty damn hot or about normal?

What is iCurve? any links?

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah, I say around normal. My 12" powerbook 1 Ghz hovers around 125 degrees F when I really use it. Don't forget what you think in your case what is hot and unhealthy it is actually fine.

8. russed macrumors 68000

russed

my 1ghz 12" pb has been running at around 140F of late. that is under not very intensive conditions. i think it is just because it has been hot outside the past few weeks. though the heat is nice in the winter when your fingers are cold!

9. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

I just repeated this in another post but did you check that your processor performance is set to AUTOMATIC. It can be found in Sys. Prefs -> Energy Saver -> Options. I had the same problem.

10. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Yea, the powerbooks get quite toasty... even the old ones. My old PBG3 500 MHz gets really hot, especially through the white apple logo in the center of the bottom.

Some apps or modes allow the option to close the lid w/o sleeping... After feeling the heat produced by running it closed for a few hours during Target Disk Mode... I would strongly reccomend against this. Right now just idling it has a 112? F temp... this ain't even close to when it's in the middle of a game like Unreal Tournament, where you can feel your fingertips getting very hot through the keyboard.