Powerbook Scam - t.g.t.b.twue?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Sanguine, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Sanguine macrumors newbie

Interested in what kind of threads come out of this (other than the few who are SICK of hearing about it):

I saw a deal on eBay that looked too good to be true, and still might be. New 17" PB for $1800. Said was given as a gift and has no use for it... Has good ratings and was willing to use PayPal. "Bought-it-Now" for $1800. He gave me his phone number (I wanted to talk to him before I sent $$) and he gave me his home phone number as well as a cell number. I have called them both and reached him both times. I sent the cash thru PayPal on Nov 12. I anticipate a PB this week... I have emailed him almost every day and called once or twice because I have been hearing about these PB scams and I am scared poopless that I have jsut lost $1800. Every time he has replied to my emails tyring to make me feel better AND answered the phone with the same responses. I have done some web research on him and it pans out so far... the People Search that I did gives me the home number that he gave me and a street address that is in the town he said he was in (the "where from" posted on eBay). He has a number of PayPal dealings that look good for him as far as PayPal is concerned. I am waiting for tomorrow; he said he would call or email me regarding if the PayPal funds had hit his account... so-o-o, waiting for tomorrow. What do you guys think? He has also sold some other Apple stuff with ++ feedback on it on both ends (20" display). Does this seem legit to you. It did to me.. I didn't even bother to ask about escrow service... didn't really know about it until now. Hope I'm not sorry.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i'm not sure what to tell you. basically, except for escrow, you did everything right... fact is, that powerbook has to be somewhere, and if you can't find that out within a reasonable amount of time (an hour, i'd say), worry. has he shipped it yet? insist you get the tracking number. start making phone calls to the delivery service, if it's late.

pnw

3. Nutzoids macrumors member

It sounds to me like it's lagit...I think it's just you being Paranoid. I have baught/sold things so many times over E-bay. Usually it takes about 2-3 weeks for anything...No matter how you pay. Remember these people have social lives, for most of them it's not a job. So you have to be squezzed into there schedual.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yes patience is important. ebay sets good guidelines for transactions... something like 3 business days for the seller to contact buyer, 10 days for a reply to arrange payment, 20 days for payment... i don't remember the exact numbers, i haven't dealt with ebay much in a few years. you can't expect things to happen instantly, especially when a weekend is involved... sometimes people will ship an item same-day, sometimes it takes a week...

pnw

5. Sanguine thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep - I admit; paranoia for cetain. I am in the process of trying to relax about it.

6. Fahd macrumors regular

Sounds legit so far, do let us know how it works out!

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

doesnt sound legit to me. if he has sold apple stuff in the past he would probably know then that that powerbook is worth way more than what he sold it. hope everything works out for the best.
    iJon

8. Sanguine thread starter macrumors newbie

Affirm, folks... scam indeed.

Got the cash back though... I think it was a scam in which the person just used the $$ and then said that the deal was off...

Learned my lesson the hard way.

9. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

can you report him to eBay? oh, and be sure to leave him negative feedback

10. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

$1800 is a good price but tis nor totally unreasonable

SmallDog was selling refurb 17" 1 Ghz for 2295 or soemthing like that abut a month ago, so it might not be totally unreasonable.

Just a suggestion though, in the future - UPS offers a COD service for just $7 extra. I sold a PB 17" that i really couldn't afford (off ebay) and then sold it on ebay not too lon after. Most buyers had alot fo concerns, esp one of the transactions in ym history was the saem powerbook! The buyer ws paranoid, which i could understand, so we went with a UPS COD service.

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

probably a jacked ebay account anyway...

let's not give the slightest idea that the $1800 for 17" PB is anywhere near reasonable... yes, it's somewhat (still $400 off) near a refurb deal, but let this be a lesson that anytime you see a price that's significantly cheaper, you owe it to yourself to contact the seller and understand EXACTLY why he's willing to take such a big hit. (i don't need it is not an acceptable answer... just because you don't need something doesn't mean you'd be willing to part with it at a 40% discount?)

glad to hear you got your money back... just go get a 12" instead now. :D

12. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

you should get a tracking number of the package. Did he show you an original picture of the product, to prove that he has it? or did he use stock marketing picture from Apple's website?

13. illumin8 macrumors 6502

Re: Affirm, folks... scam indeed.

Wow, you are lucky you ever saw your money again. The problem with Paypal is that you have no protection whatsoever. Once the money is sent they will never get it back for you.

Let your lesson be: Always use an Escrow service. Use escrow.com, and not one that the seller suggests (some fake escrow services exist). Pay the escrow service with your credit card so that as a last resort you can always charge back the card.

Using a credit card is your number one protection against fraud online. If you don't receive the goods you were promised and you paid with a credit card, the bank is required by law to charge back the merchant.