PowerBook SCRATCHES CDs - am i alone??

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by joeleeene, Nov 24, 2003.

1. joeleeene Guest

I am completely miffed! My new G4 aluminum PowerBook has scratched a couple of my CDs, one horribly (on both sides of the disc) where I can no longer use it and had a heck of a time ejecting it from my CPU.

Has anyone had this problem? I've seen some posts to this effect on other sites, but mostly with the Titanium PBs. I have already sent my Mac in for repair once for a non-functioning FireWire drive (and I've barely had it two months). I have not seen any postings on Apple's site about the optical SuperDrive damaging CDs or DVDs. Also, is it possible to buff out the scratches to retrieve the content stored on my CD?

Thanks in advance,

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    Mine doesn't scratch CDs, but the best I can suggest is that when you insert/remove the CD, you might be holding the disc at a slight angle, which would cause it to rub against the metal and result in scratching. My friend would do this often with an iMac and scratch CDs often because a slight angle is all that is needed to scratch (especially a DVD). If it isn't that, I'd call Apple. It might be some defect or damage to your optical drive that is causing it.