Powerbook screen flashes and beeps rapidly every time it goes into sleep or standby

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imranahmed, Oct 19, 2004.

1. imranahmed macrumors newbie

For the last month or so, when the powerbook should go into screensaver standby mode instead it began flashing and beeping away rapidly until i either move the mouse or press a key. I have extended the time when the computer goes into sleep or when it should go into screensaver but appears not to have made any changes. It still flashes on/off and beeps the alert sound approximately after 3 minutes from when the last key or mouse movement took place.

Can someone with the knowledge please advise how to overcome this problem, I have installed and updated Norton Internet security/ anti virus which made no difference, but have been advised that it appears to be a hardware issue??? HELP!!!

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

What OS, what kind of PB, model, rev. etc. Also have you checked for firmware updates?

3. imranahmed thread starter macrumors newbie

G4 OSX 867mhz 640mb cdrw 40gb

G4 OSX 867mhz 640mb cdrw 40gb

Apart from Norton Internet Security livewire update which i done last week, i have only downloaded music, documents and applications, Whats firmware and what would you suggest?

Many Thanks

J

4. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Firmware, scary to update cause if one thing goes wrong, you've lost your computer. It updates the offical drivers that is stored in the chips ON the thing such as the motherboard, video card, ... this is actually stuff that gets HARD coded on to the chips. Hard coded meaning it cannot be changed whatsoever, but by special programs that the manufacturer makes to update it.

5. imranahmed thread starter macrumors newbie

Display flickers and beeps sound rapidly upon entering standby/ screen saver mode

Hi Slookster,

Thanks for your definition of Firmware - i think??? :rolleyes:

Why do yhou feel it is a firmware issue?

I would still appreciate help/ your advice from all with this issue of a flashing/ flickering screen with rapid bleeps sounding each time the notebook goes into standby after 2/3 minutes of the keyboard or mouse not being used or touched.

Groovy?!?!

6. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I feel its a firmware issue because firmware makes crazy things like tha happen. Its unstable, and when new firmware is available it'll fix more than just one problem. For example, lets say video acceleration didn't work. With the firmware update it could hard code it to enable video accel.

7. imranahmed thread starter macrumors newbie

8. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Ok, so I'm guessing you've checked Software Update. I'm pretty sure they throw firmware updates in there as well, so if you've looked there, you should be good on that.

Do you have Applecare? If you do, I'd give Apple a call right away.

You might want to look at your system log to see if there's any information there that could hint at what's going on. Unfortunately, being new to Macs myself, I have no idea where to find the system log. :confused:

9. Gee macrumors 65816

You haven't enabled anything in the Universal access control panel have you? (Apple menu, system prefs, universal access). There's a setting in there to flash the screen whenever an alert occurs - designed for the hard of hearing I think.....

just a thought