Powerbook screen getting too hot?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mfacey, Sep 5, 2005.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I just noticed that the bottom edge of my 15" PB screen is darker than the rest of the screen. Its from the bottom edge going about 5-6mm up from there. When I make the background completely white the discoloration shows as a slightly yellowish/brownish tint. Not very dark, but it is noticeable. If I touch the bottom of the screen, it feels much hotter than the top. I guess that logical considering the vent's all along the back of the machine. Anybody else have this problem? Could my screen be getting too hot?

2. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

My screen has a slight hue to the very bottom of it, doesn't seem to be heat-related, though, as my screen feels only slightly warm.

3. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

sleep your computer for 20 minutes to cool, turn it back on, see if it's still there, and get back to us. that way we'll know if its heat related or maybe the case is putting pressure on it.

4. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

I just let me mac sleep for approx 60 mins. Seems like the screen has cleared up a bit again now. Its not 100% though. So I'm not quite sure what's causing the problem :confused:

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Did you have the computer running with your display shut? Perhaps this is causing it to overheat. I know on my peecee laptop my screen gets rather warm (no observable discoloration) when I leave it running with the display shut.

6. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

My buddy had a similar problem with his Toshiba notebook yesterday. It happened after he was running it for 3 hours or so, rendering audio tracks and then burning a dvd or two from DVD Studio Pro, and most of the time his fans were blasting away. Sounds like heat may possibly be a cause of this, although i am comparing two completely different types of computers.

7. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

My powerbook is just operating normally. Open and nothing heavy. Bit of internet browsing, email and iphoto. Nothing heavy. That's why I'm sort of surprised. Usually when it gets REALLY hot I have to take it off my lap cause it starts to hurt.

I'll keep an eye on the discoloration. It seems okay now. My powerbook has been running for about 1.5 hours on end now.

8. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I would, and keep a close one on it at that. If it happens again, call Apple if you still have applecare.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Hmm, that is really odd.
    Darn, there goes my theory. ;)

Your computer wasn't experiencing a kernel panic that would have caused it to overburden the system (ie- cpu, hdd, etc...) was it?

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Definitely your best, next course of action!

11. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

no kernel panic or anything. I'm out of ideas too. It's still fine now.
    My warranty is valid for another 6 months or so. Plenty of time to discover a problem! :p

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, there goes my last idea as to your described problem. Sorry I could not have been of more help.

Guess that you should call up Apple to take advantage of your remaining AppleCare.

13. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

When my iBook G4, iBook G3 900, and iBook G3 500 (when I had it) 's screens heated up, they had/have a 4mm or so from the bottom of the screen dark line. On white it looks kinda brownish. Apple said it's normal.