Powerbook Screen Goes Black

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ezsober, Dec 21, 2006.

1. macrumors member

I've got an older 15" powerbook running Mac OS X 10.3.9 (i think). Lately my computer screen randomly turns itself off, the whole think going black, like it was asleep or off, but the computer keeps running just fine. Like i might have itunes playing or be burning a disc and that goes on just fine. The computer itself stays running. What I've been doing is putting the computer to sleep by closing the notebook, letting it rest for a few seconds and turning it back on by opening it back out. This fixes the problem for anywhere from 5 seconds to indefinitely, until it happens again. Lately its been happening more. The computer is 4 years old, but the model itself, probably 5. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What external devices do you have plugged in? What software do you have running when this happens? Maybe try a quick PMU reset. :)

3. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Have you tried typing or using the trackpad when this happens? Check the Energy Saver preference pane for the Display Sleep timer.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Black screen details

Thanks for the replies. The computer doesn't actually put the screen to sleep, in the sense that I can't un-black the screen without closing the machine, which seems to trick it into turnign the screen back on when I reopen it. I tend to have a video ipod plugged in.

5. macrumors newbie

Same thing here...

Maybe a battery issue?

-darrinaw

6. macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Could be a dying LCD. I think this was common on the PowerBook G4s after some time.