Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjsam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Unfortunately my powerbook suffered a fall this evening. Probably a couple feet. I have 2 young children that use this machine frequently, I'm sure it's not it's first time experiencing such a fall.

Anyway, now, the machine will turn on, I can hear the fan, light on front, but no chimes when turning on and absolutely nothing on the screen.

Suggestions? I've tried just rebooting, removing the battery and restarting while plugged in and nothing changes.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I'd suggest taking it in to the shop for a diagnostic. They'll charge a nominal fee, maybe $50, to tell you what the problem is. You can decide to do once you find out what's going on. If there's no startup chime, that rules out hard drive damage, which would be the easiest one to diagnose and fix. It could be something as simple as a connection jarred loose, but who knows.

Don't try taking it apart yourself. Take it to the people who know what they're doing. Voice of experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.