Powerbook Screen

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MariahR, Nov 30, 2004.

1. MariahR macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2004
    When I went to visit my parents over the summer, I left my powerbook at their house while I went to a 3 day concert. When I came back the titanium casing of the screen was bent, they claim no knowledge of this happening. I immediately took it to a store in their town that said that they only solution was to replace the sceen, and it'd cost around $1000. When I took it in to my local store just before Thanksgiving they said that since it was broken they couldn't send it back to apple, but could order a new part for $850 plus $69/hr for installation. It works perfectly well as a desktop, but with the bent screen case I don't want to move it too much. The guy reccomended that I just buy a new computer, as a student I can get a low end 12" ibook for $899 and the fully loaded 14" for $1,399, so I might as well just get a new computer. Everything else on my computer works fine, and if I can avoid getting a new computer until December 2005, when I graduate, it would be wonderful. I was wondering if there was anywhere that sold used screens that I could replace it with that would be cheaper than a new screen. If I can, can I get them from any 15" Powerbook? I have a 15" 800 Mhz PowerBook G4 that I bought in July 2002.
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    If it doesn't affect how the computer works, I say wait till your Mac does kick the bucket.
  3. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    You can only use screens from DVI POwerBook G4's I don't think the screens from earlier G4's (gigbit etc) work.