Powerbook Setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xfactor11391, Apr 22, 2005.

1. xfactor11391 macrumors newbie

I am getting a 15" powerbook but i don't know if i should upgrade to the 1.67 model for the video card. I dont need a superdrive so i could take that away and I want a good amount of RAM. I am going to be playing World of Warcraft, surfing the internet, and typing documents. :confused:

2. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

the better video card will last longer. think about it a 16mb video card is obsolete (for the most part) right now, but a 32 is still ok. if you plan on keeping it a long time eventually 64 will be obsolete and 128 will be ok. other than that warcraft is the only thing that will be taxing on your video card, but you will probably live with that.

3. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

plus in the long run, you can (if you can afford) run the 30" cinema display with the upgraded video card.

question, can you run dual monitors off the 9700? that'd be sweet having 3 monitors.

i'm kinda in the same rut as you. but my concern is between the 12 and 15, mostly for traveling issues.

4. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I think you might be able to. One monitor will hook up to the DVI port (with or without adapter), and the other monitor can be hooked up through the S-Video port with an S-Video to DVI/VGA adapter. I think someone makes those. Correct me if I'm wrong.

5. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

No....

A 32 is not still ok you can play nothing well on a computer with 32 but it will run everything you need if your not gaming

Id go with the 128 or wait even those arent the best
    remeber powerbooks arent really for games so yull need to
    compensate, or risk bad prefourmance

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Get the faster processor with the better video card. You will be glad you did.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, unless you plan on upgrading in the next few years, you may as well go for the faster processor/GPU PowerBook. I really doubt you'll regret it.

8. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

You should get the 1.67 GHz model, and if you really don't want the superdrive, save the $150, and buy a gig of RAM. The video card would be worth it for games, and it keeps your options open for a LCD monitor.

9. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

I went through the same decision... Should i go up to get the 1.67Ghz?
    Eventually.. i just shelled out the extra bucks.

Now.. whether to get the SuperDrive.. that's another question..
    The money your saving now.. might be not that much of a savings in the long run. If you do consider selling it in a few years.. the SuperDrive will pretty much be a standard... Ontop of that.. Usually the SuperDrive is a selling factor / The ice breaker for some people to buy it or not.

When i made my choice... i just went all out.. except the hard drive (you can always get an external one for backup and share it between computers).

10. xfactor11391 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also how much RAM would you all recommend for World of Warcraft? Do you think I should go with the 100gb hard drive or the Superdrive? Thanks for all the help so far. :)

11. indigoblu macrumors member

I just purchased the 15" PB with 1.67 Ghz, 100 Gig, 1 gig Ram (can add another gig later), Superdrive, 128 V RAM. It set me back more, but worth it in the long run. Last time (5 years ago) I got base model, no upgrades but alittle RAM, 12" iBook. After about 2 years and a few software upgrades I was mostly pissed off at how slow it was. I want to be going strong in 5 years - not clicking and waiting, clicking and waiting. My iBook resale value is only $200 - not worth the effort. if you can afford it, go for the juice dude! But think about your long term usage, what's important for you? I go back and forth between screens a lot, I like to listen to iTunes while I do other things. Also, I have a 40 gig iPod and my iBook is a 20Gig! So I copy the CD on the iPod but not the iBook. So to listen to music I have to plug my iPod in - pain in the butt! If I could get 200 Gigs, I would.